Tasted my first AG batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imlvngded

Reaction score
Just tasted my first AG batch last night. It was an attempt at DogFish Head 90 min. While not a dead ringer for the 90 Min, it was freaking delicious. In my opinion, the jump to all grain was absolutely worth it. The extract "twang" is gone ( i guess that's what it was, because it's been there in every previous batch). Just thought I'd share my success. Picking up grain for an oktoberfest ale in about 2 hours:ban:

Awesome to hear. I just bottled my first AG last night and cannot wait to taste it!

It's amazing to me how much better a product comes out of AG brewing. I've brewed some good extract beers, but my switch to AG has just been fantastic. Congrats.

Nice guys. It's very exciting when you get the first taste. It's even cooler when you hear that Tssst sound when you pop a top.

You can throw away your extract diaper pants and dawn your man AG pants.:mug:

That is very good to hear. I just did my first AG and it will be my first beer I have kegged also. I am anxious to taste it.

:rolleyes: I've had very good extract beer, and very lousy AG beer. The correlation is tenuous, at best.

All else equal they both can make good beer.

I have heard rave reviews about extract brews, but I have yet to taste a great one from my setup (haven't tried anyone elses). I brewed extract for several years, and I always had a little "bite" or "twang" to my brews. I have since brewed about 6 or 8 AG batches, and none of them resemble that taste and all have been great. I found an old extract bottle amongst my laborynth of bottles and tried it recently, and I would rather drink ball sweat.....well, you get the point.

I am sold on the AG method and don't plan on looking back. If a newb like me can make great beer overnight on an AG setup, then anybody can. I am done fighting the "twang" of extract, but more power to those who can make great beer via that method. I just couldn't get it right.

Although the time savings would be nice.....

got my first AG brew on gas right now.. first AG, first batch kegged...! i love the ag process.. the smell of grains mashing= yummy!

All the extract brews I made were delicious. I didn't detect the twang that was spoke of. However I did only use dry extract from the beginning. I once used LME by accident when I ordered my PTE clone kit from AHS. I've since switched to AG and done a few water experiments. Made some really good beers and some bad beers trying my tap water out. My tap water sucks and makes terrible beer. Even passed through two different sized carbon filters it sucks. So I went back to RO/spring water but now I have minerals for brewing. Since I stopped using ****ty water things were back on the up and up for my AG brews.

Awesome it turned out. I think my first two (still in secondary) are a bit of a wash. Both didn't ferment out as far as I expected (mashed kinda higher temp range). The third a Stone Ruination Clone in all avenues went better and only 3 days into fermentation so we'll see.

I brewed my first AG batch on Labor Day and I racked it on Saturday. Two weeks on the dry hop, and then I'll be ready to bottle. Can't wait to taste it! I had pretty good luck with extract, the first brew I ever did won best in show! Great to hear your success and keep brewing! :mug:

I have heard rave reviews about extract brews, but I have yet to taste a great one from my setup (haven't tried anyone elses). I brewed extract for several years, and I always had a little "bite" or "twang" to my brews. I have since brewed about 6 or 8 AG batches, and none of them resemble that taste and all have been great. I found an old extract bottle amongst my laborynth of bottles and tried it recently, and I would rather drink ball sweat.....well, you get the point.

I am sold on the AG method and don't plan on looking back. If a newb like me can make great beer overnight on an AG setup, then anybody can. I am done fighting the "twang" of extract, but more power to those who can make great beer via that method. I just couldn't get it right.

Although the time savings would be nice.....

Make an extract brew with fresh ingredients and proper techniques, then tell me you get the "twang" you speak of. Either you won't or won't admit to it. ;)

I was going to taste my first all grain this weekend, but I have a terrible cold. Have to wait a few more days I guess. The anticipation is killing me.

I love all but one of my extract beers that I made! I just felt that I needed to do it the authentic way to be the brewer I wanted to be. I love and hate the process. I love the actual control I have over what the beer can become. I hate that it takes around six hour do complete. I hope to shave an hour off in the future but still. If anyone wants to invite me over for a beer, I don't care if it is from extract or from grains, I will be there!

Tasting that first all-grain brew makes it all worth it, doesn't it? All that worry about the mysteries of the all grain process that at one time seemed sooooo complicated, no is just second nature.
I'm glad you got a brew you can be proud of.

Back