Double IPA Target Blast IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChemistWhiskey

Self-described Scientist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
80 (Tinseth)
Color
5.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 66
Tasting Notes
Fruity/candy note that I can't put a finger on. Solid malt presence balanced by a lasting bitterness and unique flavor/aroma from the Target
Fermentables

11 lbs Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) 77.2 %
2 lbs Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) 14.0 %
1 lbs 4 oz Table sugar (1.0 SRM) 8.8%

Hops

2.50 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 64.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 9.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 5.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Target [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

Mash @ 150.0 F for 60 min

Table sugar was added with ~ 5 min left in the boil.
Dry hops were added at ~ 48 hours into fermentation.
Cold crashed for 48 hours before kegging, gelatin added to the keg before burst carbing.

I got 81% mash efficiency this time, the highest I've ever attained. This is my first brew on my new Cereal Killer mill set to credit card gap width. I mash in a rectangle cooler with bazooka screen.

I brewed this to use up the remainders of a pound of Target that I got on sale and have been using for bittering. It is still fairly young in the keg, but is very clean. It showcases the Target well - from what I have read this hop isn't often used for much besides bittering, but it definitely doesn't fall short in the flavor/aroma department IMO.

The beer has an interesting taste and aroma, which I can only describe as "candy-like" and also has the character of a fruit that I can't quite put my finger on. I will update after I get a few friends to taste and see what they think. My wife isn't much help, she just says it smells "spicy", but she says that about all of my hoppy beers :rolleyes:.

A good beer, doesn't seem like it will need much time to mellow. The best stronger beer I've brewed since investing in temperature control and building water from scratch.

Back