Tap water got into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
I have a couple of Belgian style big brews (around 11%) in two glass carboys that are aging...it's been over 6 months and the water in the airlocks were getting really low so I refilled them, but a few drops of water got into the beer through the bottom of the lock (which are in stoppers well sealed in the opening of the carboy). When I initially filled the airlocks no water whatsoever dripped through them, am I screwed?

Hardly, though you can use starsan or even vodka in your airlock in the future. That said, it is extremely unlikely this will impact your beers.

no. i try not to drip water/ touch stuff with my hands/ whatever, but honestly the chance that something off happening with something minor like this is pretty slim. just pretend like it didn't happen and carry on with the beers:mug:

Thanks guys, that's good news. Just out of curiosity, why is any water at all dripping through the airlocks? They are the 3 piece kind, and its happening on both of them.

. . . . . .Just out of curiosity, why is any water at all dripping through the airlocks? . . . .

Shouldn't be, unless you are lowering the temperature.:confused: Is the barometric pressure increasing where you are? Are they both cracked?

yeah, maybe its getting a little cooler or something. i started using the s shaped ones because they will bubble backwards instead of dripping into the fermenter.

Shouldn't be, unless you are lowering the temperature.:confused: Is the barometric pressure increasing where you are?

Shouldn't be, we are just above sea level close to the gulf of mexico (west coast of florida)...carboys are in the same exact place and temp as they've been the entire time (high 60's in the dark). I don't see any cracks, it's dripping through the tiny little opening in the bottom where the dime size diameter part is of the hard plastic 3 piece airlock.

Latest posts

Back