Tap Mount - aka the Tapalope (horns coming soon)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thursdayscoming

Reaction score
In the spirit of homebrewing, my brother recently made this tap mount for me. Originally, we were going to make a simple wooden back to mount a couple through-the-wall taps for my home kegerator system, but it quickly took on a life of its own when we started to actually make the thing.

The result... the "Tapalope" (scientific name: Beerdispenserus Tapalopus) was born. It's made from Lacewood, Holly, and Purpleheart, and even has spots on its head for some horns that will we will hang the beer name and style from eventually.

Now, for where I could use some advice. The shanks for the taps both mount through 7/8" holes in the wood and I screwed the backing on tight, however, one of the tap faucets tends to rotate on me. I've pulled it off the wall and tried tightening it, but it keeps loosening up and wanting to rotate. Has anyone else run into this issue? I was hoping for suggestions on the best way to "lock" the shanks in place.

Prost!

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

That's beautiful, nice work! It does look a bit like the transformers logo, but none the less beautiful.

You may try a lock washer on the back side of the shank that keeps coming loose.

Benny Hill brought fourth the jackalope,
Gary Larson brought on the Spamalope,
Leave it to HBT to debut the Tapalope!

What is the shank clamping upon, sheetrock wall?

We thought it looked a bit like transformers as well, with perhaps a bit of starfox thrown in.

Benny Hill brought fourth the jackalope,
Gary Larson brought on the Spamalope,
Leave it to HBT to debut the Tapalope!

What is the shank clamping upon, sheetrock wall?

It clamps directly to the wood mount and we cut larger holes in the sheetrock that the shank and nut fit through. The whole assembled unit is then screwed into anchors in the sheetrock wall. Seems to work pretty well for assembly... if I could only get it a bit tighter.

That's beautiful, nice work! It does look a bit like the transformers logo, but none the less beautiful.

You may try a lock washer on the back side of the shank that keeps coming loose.

I may try that lock washer idea, right now its just the nut that came with the clamp.

Thanks for the comments! I've been coming to this board for years and got a huge number of tips and advice the whole time I was putting my system together, so it was about time I joined up.

Back