Tannin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmanster

Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Can you tell when you have to much tannin in your diet? This whole spill is just a guess but I think I can! It all started with my leg muscle spasms (charlie horses).. I knew it was caused by low iron and I did take a supplement for a year until I did some homebrew research on tannins.. Tannins block iron from being absorbed into your system. The biggest producers of tannin are coffee and tea.. I used to drink 2-4 cups coffee or hot tea every morning. Thanks to homebrewing AG I know that the most tannins are released at hot temps.. So needless to say I've been cold brewing my tea and have not had a charlie horse in a while. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm set to think it was all the tannins fault for many years of sporadic leg pain.. Thought id ask if anyone else has found a correlation between the two..

All I know is that they say that you should sparge at less than 170 to prevent tannins from leaching from the husks when brewing AG. It has to do with PH as well. I'm pretty sure that they amount of tannins that you could get from homebrewed beer would be MUCH less than what you get from a cup of tea.

Back