TAMPA BAY and BEER??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Headed there later this week to visit my son. Recommendations for good beer? Are there any breweries there? Sort of limited time.. but, we both love good beer. He has picked up some Cigar City. I don't know if that is really any good or not.. but, I've seen it mentioned on HBT once or twice.

Cigar City is one of the best breweries in the Southeastern United States outside of Asheville. Very good stuff! Both the production brewery and the brewpub are well worth the visit.

Recently bought some Cigar City Jai Alai IPA as I drove through Florida. It's very good and quite unique vs other IPAs. I didn't get the opportunity to try any others.

Heard great things about 7venth Sun Brewery in Dunedin. Though I haven't had any of their stuff personally I'd love to give them a shot ;)

Cigar city makes good beer, but the scene is over on this side of the bay. There are about 15 small breweries over here. I've been to most of them (and some of them I frequent often :) ). If you want further comment on any of them, just ask.

http://www.visitstpeteclearwater.com...aft-beer-trail

There is a big bike path (Pinellas Trail) that runs north to south, from Tarpon Springs to the pier in St. Pete, and it goes right past most of these. So if you don't mind a 75 mile round trip, you can drink at all the breweries and get your exercise too. There is also the Jolley Trolly, which will take your druck arse up and down the same path; it's meant for pub crawls.

I'd say Green Bench is my current favorite, but all of them are great. If you can't do the entire beer tour here, at least get into Dunedin. You can walk to Dunedin Brewery (expect bands on the wkends), 7eventh Sun (mostly belgians), and the House of Beer (not a brewery, but about 75 craft beers on tap). And of course, you can walk down to the beach from there. And right between Dunedin Brewery and 7eventh sun is a new distillery that just opened, Cotherman Distilling Co. (Mike Cotherman is a friend of mine and also a member here).

I was in the Tampa area last month and found Southern Brewing and Wine Making on BA. Just happened to be their fall festival so I got to enjoy "gourds gone wild". They had a nice selection of homebrew supplies.

Cigar city is a must. 7th sun and Dunedin brewery are great and if you're going through tarpon springs I recommend going to st somewhere. Other then those TBBC is awesome too

I was in the Tampa area last month and found Southern Brewing and Wine Making on BA. Just happened to be their fall festival so I got to enjoy "gourds gone wild". They had a nice selection of homebrew supplies.

I almost forgot southern brewing, this is my LHBS and my favorite watering hole.
Don't know how I forgot that one

Recently bought some Cigar City Jai Alai IPA as I drove through Florida. It's very good and quite unique vs other IPAs. I didn't get the opportunity to try any others.

IMHO Cigar City is one of the best breweries in the country. Their Jai Alai IPA is world class. If you can find Jai Alai white oak grab it! One of the best IPA's I've ever had.
WhiteOak.png

Is there anything out near Palm Harbor? I'll be there on business in January. I plan on going up early and spending a day in Tampa first too.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like more than we'll have time for this round. Passedpawn (sorry, forgot your name over the years since we talked about alt yeast). We'll be close.. be nice to meet you if there is time.

Spanish cedar. I have some o dat. I've done some small woodcarvings using it. Maybe I can pick your brain on that one at some time. My son is into cycling.. so, he may well find that bike path a great ride.

Bill

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like more than we'll have time for this round. Passedpawn (sorry, forgot your name over the years since we talked about alt yeast). We'll be close.. be nice to meet you if there is time.

Spanish cedar. I have some o dat. I've done some small woodcarvings using it. Maybe I can pick your brain on that one at some time. My son is into cycling.. so, he may well find that bike path a great ride.

Bill

Sure, lets meet. PM me your schedule.

I'm heading out to Tampa on Saturday and going to catch the brewery tour at Cigar City. Are there any good bottle shops around there or am I going to have to go further into downtown?

Yeah, there is a Total Wine right around the block from CCB. We always hit both. Last time we were there, they had Terrapin Wake n Bake and Sierra Nevada BA Narwhal on shelf.

And just to add in more breweries/bars around Tampa. Cycle in downtown St. Pete is amazing. I'd say them and Green Bench make the best beers outside of Cigar City. 3 Daughters, Pair o Dice and Rapp are also other decent breweries in St. Pete. Brewers Tasting Room and World of Beer are other great bars in St. Pete.

I'll have no car, but it looks to be about a $30 Uber ride one way to St Petersburg.

Any good gastropubs to hit up in Tampa?

Where to start. Just walk up central ave for you will pass 20 in several blocks. The Ale and the Witch is a good choice, new to the scene is the flying pig. Beer is the scene in St Pete.Further up Central there is a smaller pub called The Sly they do kill the keg night on Saturdays for $12 all you can drink. They feature a local craft beer.

+1 for Cigar City (tour is a must), Southern Brew and 7venth Sun...all 3 are local favorites!!!

I've had the Jai-Alai from a local bar and didn't care for it, but I tried on the tour and loved it! Tour guide said fresh matters with it! The Cubano Espresso was awesome as well!

St Pete craft breweries are all over there are at least 4 downtown including Green Bench, 3 Daughters, Cycle Brewery and St Pete Brewery. All are very good. A late comer is Pair O Dice in Largo and for something different Rapp Brewing also in Largo. If you dont have a car best bet is just go to downtown St Pete. St Pete has a great stout called grateful stout. 3 daughters and cycle have several really good ipa's. Pair O Dice kills it with a great Belgium wheat called Nina and a Nut Brown Ale called shooter brown. Maybe on your way back to Tampa stop in Largo Pair O Dice is pretty much on your back

If you like Pizza try Top This Pie on 4th Street N. They have great pizza and cheap prices on local craft beer. Stay away on weekend nights though it can be a mad house. If you like burgers try fire engine 9. Expensive but good. Lots of good choices you really cant go wrong.

Forgot for great views and some drinks they also have good food try the canopy on beach street. It on top of the birch wood hotel. Can also get very crowded

Did some exploring today and found a great small place in Tampa called Independent Cafe and Bar. Good beer selection and food, and currently live jazz music.

Latest posts

Back