Talk about a busy day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I racked and pressed 6 gallons of a Merlot and 6 gallons of a Cabernet Sauvignon.

Then the head brewer of Schlafly Beer stopped by with 4 bushels of apples and we put my new homemade garbage disposal crusher to work.

It didn't take long to build and ate thru apples and pears like there was no tomorrow.

Total tally:

12 gallons of wine
17 gallons of fresh cider
1 gallon of fresh pear juice

Here is a video of the "Masticator".

[youtube]tGSHZwwME-c[/youtube]

Wow.

I understand you can make huge vats of frozen margaritas with a tricked out disposer.

I had one rigged up with a 5 gal cooler with the disposal on the bottom with a return that dumped it back into the cooler. Worked awesome a couple times, then the ice blocked up and there was nothing going into the disposal and it burnt up.

That is a lot of work!

This year we have picked over 1000 lbs of grapes. We also just bought a 70 gallons of must from a local winery.

Yikes!

Indeed, you have the Brewer for Schlafly stopping by your pad?

Cool. Tell him I have had the beers once, and loved them. Can not get them here though:mad:

I cringed every time your fingers went near the disposal...

For me personally I have quite large hands. Before I wired up the power plug I tested if my hand could fit into the opening. No matter what I did I couldn't fit my hand far enough into the disposal to touch any of the blades.

With that said next year will bring about a few changes.

1.) Add a chute that can accept cut apples and feed them directly into the disposal.

I am considering using one of these to cut the apples.

93001.gif

Nice shout-out last night on The Session, Harv!

Yeah, talk about unexpected!

Indeed, you have the Brewer for Schlafly stopping by your pad?

Cool. Tell him I have had the beers once, and loved them. Can not get them here though:mad:

You might want to email their beer sales department and see if there is a distributor close that might be able to order it for you.

beersales at schlafly dot com

Nice little invention you got there, very clever.

Congrats on the haul.

By no means can I take credit for this. I found bits and pieces all over the internet, youtube,etc about people building one of these.

Thanks for the kind words!

Latest posts

Back