T45 vs T90 hops at recipe creation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have just found this info:
"T-90 Pellets are milled into a powder and then squeezed through a die. They retain all of the vegetative matter that came in the hop cones and can be used as a full replacement for cone hops. T-45 pellets follow a similar process except that when they are milled it is with the addition of heat to make the lupulin less sticky. Once through the mill some of the vegetative matter is removed and the remaining material is then pressed through a die to make the familiar pellet shape. T-45 pellets can also be used a full replacement for hop cones. The difference between the two types of pellets is that with the T-45 version you get he same alpha acid numbers with less over all material in the kettle at the end of the day. - See more at: http://www.kettletokeg.com/blog/2012/05/t-90-versus-t-45-hop-pellets-what-does-it-mean/#sthash.9814uNE0.dpuf"

There is one thing I dont understand: once I type in a recipe creator (like brewtoad for example) how much hops I'll use, plus that they are pellets with a specific AA %, then does it account for T45 or T90 hops?
Because the same alpha acid content that I achieve with T45 hops cant be achieved with T90 hops, right? Since there is more vegetative material in the T90 hops. Meaning it weighs more too, right?

I am actually using Palmers calculation (which is IBU = AAU x U x 75 / Vrecipe) to calculate the amount of hops I need apart from Brewtoad, but I never thought of how to account for the different types of hops in that calculation. Is it something that should be accounted for at all?

I'm not sure I understand. If the labs are testing the finished hop pellets and coming up with an AA% this is going to tell you the alpha acid % by weight. Therefore, a pellet with 10% AA will have the same amount of AA per weight as any other type of pellet that's tested at 10% AA.

Yeah, the brewer gets the same TOTAL amount of alpha acid with less material because some non-alpha plant matter has been left behind in the manufacturing process. Whatever it says on the package is the %AA of the pellets in that package. No need to account for the difference.

For example, I have 10 pounds of chinook that are 10% AA. I take five pounds and make T90 pellets out of them. I get a net of 5 pounds of chinook T90 pellets with a total %AA of 10. I take the remaining hops and make T45 pellets out of them. I end up with 4 pounds of T45 pellets that are 12.5%AA, and no alphas have been destroyed, just sort of "concentrated."

Yeah, the brewer gets the same TOTAL amount of alpha acid with less material because some non-alpha plant matter has been left behind in the manufacturing process. Whatever it says on the package is the %AA of the pellets in that package. No need to account for the difference.

For example, I have 10 pounds of chinook that are 10% AA. I take five pounds and make T90 pellets out of them. I get a net of 5 pounds of chinook T90 pellets with a total %AA of 10. I take the remaining hops and make T45 pellets out of them. I end up with 4 pounds of T45 pellets that are 12.5%AA, and no alphas have been destroyed, just sort of "concentrated."
Ok...makes perfect sense. The actual weight is not important, but the AA % written on the packaging. This also means that T90 pellets are not as economic as T45, right?

I was wondering....is this the same rule for aroma and flavour too? I mean surely I can get more out of T45 pellets than from the T90 pellets when considering the weight, right?

Ok...makes perfect sense. The actual weight is not important, but the AA % written on the packaging. This also means that T90 pellets are not as economic as T45, right?

I was wondering....is this the same rule for aroma and flavour too? I mean surely I can get more out of T45 pellets than from the T90 pellets when considering the weight, right?

No, I don't think you're understanding. Mass (hops) x AA % = Mass (AA)

If you have 10g of 10% AA hops you will be adding 1g AA to your beer. If the T45 & T90 pellets have the same AA% then they should be treated the exact same way.

Back