T-58 yeast and sorghum syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewGF

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing a Belgian Dubbel this weekend. I have read about some poor outcomes with T-58 and Sorghum syrup on this forum. Should I abandon that plan and brew a more tried and true recipe? I would love to hear from anyone that had nice results, or poor results for that matter. Any suggestions on fermenting temps also appreciated.
Thanks!
Craig

Great! that's encouraging.pretty darn close to my recipe. I brewed it yesterday and this morning it looks like there is a cyclone inside my carboy. I haven't seen anything like that before. I will post results here in several weeks.

This beer has been bottled for only 5 days but it is the best batch I have brewed so far (out of 4 previous batches). My recipe was almost the same as the one you posted but I used D-90 candi syrup where yours called for candi and I also used cascade hops almost exactly where that recipe uses them, and then i added 1oz of Fuggles for flavor and aroma scattered around that final 15 minutes. I also used clarity ferm and another poster claimed it removed the sorghum twang. I was skeptical on that but so far it appears to have worked, although I can't eliminate the yeast for being responsible for that nice outcome as I had never used T58 before.

brewGF, glad to hear it came out well. In my opinion, cascade hops go really well with sorghum extract beers as they seem to do a good job masking the dreaded twang, and complimenting the 'maltiness'. But i wouldn't discount the clarity ferm either. I read that post too and its an interesting idea, but i think it needs some testing. Maybe brew a pale ale with CF, a neutral yeast like 05, some low alpha hops, then drink it young. If there's any twang then it should be more obvious.

Back