T-58 temp with big belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eustacesk

Reaction score
Hey guys i scoured through some of the T-58 forums, but either couldnt find what i was looking for/found contradictory responses.

So im thinking about brewing either a belgian golden strong. tripel or quad that i will bottle condition for 6-12 months. Wanted to see what kind of advice you had on ferm temperature control. Im aiming for more fruity esters over peppery. Problem ive had is the threads seem to be all over the place on which temperatures provide pepper vs fruity. Any help is appreciated! As well as any thoughts on which of the three styles might work best with T-58 and possibly condition better.

Thanks for the help!

Kyle

Rule of thumb for Belgians is low temp for spice and high temp for esters. T-58 is a strain that leans more towards spicy than estery, so you need to run upper 60s to low 70s (°F) on temp to encourage esters, while keeping the spice under control. Of course, if you take the temp up too high, you run the risk of producing fusels. I think for what you're trying to do given the size of the beers, I'd ferment no warmer than 68°, at least for the first few days and then work it up to the low 70s until it finishes. You might get some spice, but I wouldn't think it would be too over the top.

In all reality, T-58, at least based on my experience with it, is not a good strain when favoring esters over phenols and spice. WLP500 or WLP530 would be better options here, though they are liquid strains. Maybe some of the other dry Belgian strains would be better as well, but I've no experience with them, so I can't offer an opinion.

I ve seen reviews all over the board on T-58. Your response seems to be in line with most folk. I appreciate the input

Back