T-58 brew stuck at 1.040

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sursole

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed a belgian stout a couple weeks back with two packets of T-58. Fermentation started nice and strong, but after two days the airlock activity dropped to zero. OG 1.099. I waited a week and took a reading, 1.040. Waited another 5 days, took a reading, 1.040. In the last week I've tried rousing the yeast and uping the temp to the best of my ability, its sitting at 75 currently. I'm concluding at this point the fermentation may be stuck and am moving on to my next option. I want to repitch T-58, but because it's a dry yeast I want to rehydrate, BUT because the original brew is 7.4% currently I want to ease the yeast in with a starter. My question is, can I do both? And is this the best idea?

My plan now then is to rehydrate a new sachet of t-58, and then add a yeast starter to it of DME. It will go on a stir plate for 24 hours.
Also, after 12 hours on the stir plate I was going to add probably a cup of the already fermenting beer to acclimate the yeast.

Any ideas or other suggestions on this? The beer taste fine but 1.040 is way too high to end things at

Seems like a reasonable approach. You could do 2 or 3 additions of the fermenting ale to step up the alcohol concentration a bit more slowly.

Back