System won't hold co2. Help me diagnose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBigHops

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to kegging, and I think I understand how all the connections and such work, but this one has me stumped. How can a brand new bottle leak it's entire contents in 24 hours with the main valve turned off?

The back story: I have a brand new cannonball draft system (1.75 gal keg) with lines and a brand new 2.5 lb co2 tank. First batch to go into the keg, I didn't have my bottle yet and borrowed a friends (bottle, regulator and lines) No problems, so I don't think it's the keg. Second batch, hooked up my regulator and lines to my bottle, left at 20 psi for 3-4 days, and then within two days (maybe 4-5 pours max) the bottle was empty. Yes it's a small bottle, but not THAT SMALL. So I got the tank refilled, hooked everything up, made up a soap solution in a spray bottle, opened it up, and no obvious leaks. Hooked it up to the keg, spritzed all over it too, and again, no obvious leaks. I left it for 30 minutes, but when I went back it looked as though the main tank pressure had dropped from reading around 900 to about 830. So I closed the main valve for the night, but left everything hooked up. Tonight, go to draw a beer, and tank is empty. Keg also had no pressure in it.

What do I do now? Doesn't seem like it's possible for the bottle to drain with the main valve closed. Am I wrong?

I would suggest checking the pressure relief valve, as this can sometimes get stuck. However it sounds like you are shutting off the valve on the tank itself, so nothing should really be escaping

I would suggest checking the pressure relief valve, as this can sometimes get stuck. However it sounds like you are shutting off the valve on the tank itself, so nothing should really be escaping

Correct. Valve on the tank completely closed, and yet all the gas escaped out of it. HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE???

latest

Does your regulator have a washer or seal where it connects to the tank? it could be damaged or missing causing a leak.

Latest posts

Back