Syracuse, ny - round 6 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy New Year!

So it seems clear that several of you guys like the Deception Cream Stout. Do you use the Denny's Favorite WY1450 or do you sub the standard WY1056/WLP001/US-05? I was thinking about trying that recipe (SWMBO likes milk stouts) and then probably also Denny's RyePA if I was using that yeast. Are there any other recipes that you have tried that use WY1450? I thought I might try a cream ale with it, for a little more fruitiness, and maybe a Cascade/Centennial IPA.

Happy New Year!

So it seems clear that several of you guys like the Deception Cream Stout. Do you use the Denny's Favorite WY1450 or do you sub the standard WY1056/WLP001/US-05? I was thinking about trying that recipe (SWMBO likes milk stouts) and then probably also Denny's RyePA if I was using that yeast. Are there any other recipes that you have tried that use WY1450? I thought I might try a cream ale with it, for a little more fruitiness, and maybe a Cascade/Centennial IPA.

I used denny's and have used 1450 in a lot of recipes and it is a great yeast. I am a big fan of the rye ipa too (you will not be disapointed).

I see some things have changed. Can we get briess malts again?

No briess malts still. However I believe that the DME and LME are available. At a minimum I think the DME is.

Please DO make sure you read through the order details in teh first couple of posts, there certainly are some changes and things to be aware of.

Thanks!

Corn is an adjunct I haven't used personally. However I would be looking for a lawnmower beer to brew if I were you. Coors, Bud, Miller, Labatts, PBR etc. should all have corn and or rice. BYO has some recipes for those if you are interested in attempting a clone version. If you don't have the BYO recipe magazine you should definitely buy it.

Now is a good time to lager! I plan on doing 1-3 more lagers; lagering them through Jan/Feb. With the cold it will be easier for me to keep off them :D

Right now my pilsner urquell clone is bubbling away!!

Anyone have a recipe that uses flaked corn? I gotta start using up some soon! Lagers are ok too.

cream three crops:

I also did this Centennial Blonde https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/ but subbed quite a few things. People like it. Here's the modified recipe:
3.5 # Pilsen (could just use regular 2 row)
3# 2-row
1# flaked corn
12 oz carapils
6 oz crystal 40
.25 oz centennial @ 55
.25 oz centennial @ 35
.25 oz cascade @ 20
.25 oz cascade @ 20
Irish Moss @ 10
.25 oz cascade @ 5
1 pkg s-04 yeast

1.042 SG, 1.011 FG, ABV 4.1%, 21.8 IBU, 4.8 SRM,
A nice easy drinker.

nice set up since iv last seen it cidah!

oh man i wish i had mine down here.... i did 4 brews while i was home on christmas break!

nice set up since iv last seen it cidah!

oh man i wish i had mine down here.... i did 4 brews while i was home on christmas break!

Thanks! Still working on getting it showroom ready but every brew is a new improvement.

I thought for sure you would have ended up grabbing your stuff and taking it with you. But looks like we were on the same track over the break (I ended up rocking 4 batches as well!)

Did you brew this one copyright? I was considering brewing this one but I brewed biermunchers blue moon clone and while it came out well, wasn't a huge fan of it overall. So now I am hesitant to try this one (was considering making this and turning one keg into a raspberry cream ale and another keep the same for the wife).

Cidah, have you considered making a batch of Hoegaarden for the wife? Super tasty stuff that everyone enjoys.

Cidah, have you considered making a batch of Hoegaarden for the wife? Super tasty stuff that everyone enjoys.

I had considered that back in the summer but got heffed out. Do youhave a good recipe you care to share?

I really wanted to brew a franziskanner hefe or dunkel, but I can't seem to get a comparable brew (remember my complaints about this). I resolved that I think it could be my hard water accentuates the hops, and causes some sort of tangy almost citrusy flavor. However FK doesn't have that at all. Was thinking next time to use distilled water, but that just gets annoying and expensive for me to do.

you probably remember all this. I let a bunch of people, brewers included try three or four of my hefe versions (ed worts, blood orange, etc.). People really seemed to like them, but for me they weren't what I was shooting for (FK hefe or FK Dunkel clone).

Yeah, I forgot about all the hefes you made. You may want to look into getting a RO water source if your using just tap water. It really makes a world of difference for the beer, especially with proper mash PH. Anyways, here is the recipe my friend and I use for Hoegaarden and it turns out very nice. This is the original grist and spices as stated by Pierre Celis.

O.G: 1.048, F.G: 1.010, 5% abv, 20 IBU, 90 min boil (don't boil too hard)

50% Pils malt
45% Wheat - I used torrified wheat, though flaked wheat would work too
5% flaked oats

Hallertau & Saaz at 60 & 15 min for 20 IBU
25 grams (Indian) coriander & curaco orange peel @ 5 min

wyeast 3944. aerate well, pitch 65F and raise to no higher than 72F

Yeah, I forgot about all the hefes you made. You may want to look into getting a RO water source if your using just tap water. It really makes a world of difference for the beer, especially with proper mash PH. Anyways, here is the recipe my friend and I use for Hoegaarden and it turns out very nice. This is the original grist and spices as stated by Pierre Celis.

O.G: 1.048, F.G: 1.010, 5% abv, 20 IBU, 90 min boil (don't boil too hard)

50% Pils malt
45% Wheat - I used torrified wheat, though flaked wheat would work too
5% flaked oats

Hallertau & Saaz at 60 & 15 min for 20 IBU
25 grams (Indian) coriander & curaco orange peel @ 5 min

wyeast 3944. aerate well, pitch 65F and raise to no higher than 72F

Never had a problem with my water and brewing with any brews except hefes (profile of it fits most closely to the dublin style). However I used distilled for my lager this time and will rebrew with my tap to see if I can taste the difference. My mash PH was well within the sweet spot range when i tested it for previous brews (specifically did this to try to figure out why hefes didn't taste like FK).

Anyway, couple of questions:
1. I would like to use fresh orange peel, but wanted to check if that was dried orange amount in grams?
2. are the hop additions 50/50; i.e. is that 10ibus of haller and 10 ibus of saaz at both 60 and 15 additions?

Does this end up tasting like hoegarden?

Thanks!

Yeah, it is pretty spot on for us and I've got two medals with this recipe. The only thing we don't know is the exact amount of coriander and orange peel to add. I just err on the side of caution and go with a bit more than a 1/2 oz each. The dried curaco orange peel has a pretty distinct flavor, though fresh orange peel works well too. Actually, I started using lemon and grapefruit zest in my wits as their flavors work really well together. Not traditional, but good. I typically do 1/2 each of saaz and hallertau for 15 IBU and get the last 5 ibu or so at the 15 min. You could just do a 60 min addition though.

I'll have to brew this again during the spring.

Hops102.jpg

Yeah, it is pretty spot on for us and I've got two medals with this recipe. The only thing we don't know is the exact amount of coriander and orange peel to add. I just err on the side of caution and go with a bit more than a 1/2 oz each. The dried curaco orange peel has a pretty distinct flavor, though fresh orange peel works well too. Actually, I started using lemon and grapefruit zest in my wits as their flavors work really well together. Not traditional, but good. I typically do 1/2 each of saaz and hallertau for 15 IBU and get the last 5 ibu or so at the 15 min. You could just do a 60 min addition though.

I'll have to brew this again during the spring.

Hops102.jpg

Looks great!

I have found that fresh zesting does way better for flavor than the dried stuff (IMO). Yeah it is a pain, but it really makes a difference worth the effort.

So about 1/2 oz of each corriander and dried orange (I will have to figure out the zest amount). I will see if good old wegman's has the curaco oranges. I could go with the dried as well I suppose.

Thanks for the hops that clears it up. I will go with the two additions if that is what you normally do, for the respective IBU amounts.

Ok, need a little help. I want to make a killer pale ale for a very special occasion. Anyone have any really good recipes? Right now my house APA is a variation of SNPA using magnum, cascade, hopdust, 2row, c60 and some aromatic. I need to get this in the bucket by Monday so I gotta get going!!!

Did you brew this one copyright? I was considering brewing this one but I brewed biermunchers blue moon clone and while it came out well, wasn't a huge fan of it overall. So now I am hesitant to try this one (was considering making this and turning one keg into a raspberry cream ale and another keep the same for the wife).

No, I haven't made this...only the modified Centennial Blonde I mentioned in the prior post.

Ok, need a little help. I want to make a killer pale ale for a very special occasion. Anyone have any really good recipes? Right now my house APA is a variation of SNPA using magnum, cascade, hopdust, 2row, c60 and some aromatic. I need to get this in the bucket by Monday so I gotta get going!!!

Not that I have a lot of experience, with 12 batches done since July (and none before that for over 15 years). Of everything I made so far, the best response from others has been to the Mirror Pond Ale clone. Here's the recipe discussion: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mirror-pond-pale-ale-clone-70466/. Definitely better than the SNPA clone I made, maybe because I tend to like English style beers and the MO + S-04 make this more flavorful than SNPA (which I also like).

I made a coors lager clone, came out great. Light, yellow, bubbly and was a hit among non craft drinkers. I'll dig the recipe p.

I did an amarillo pale ale I really liked. This one doesn't have a ton of hops varieties but IMO was very good. Though if you think the SNPA isn't a pretty darn good pale ale then I may be steering you in the wrong direction (think this one was a kit I bought from midwest way back when). Good hoppy aroma without the IPA bite.

Recipe: Amarillo Pale Ale
Brewer: CidahMastah

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 72.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10 lbs 12.0 ozPale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 91.49 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.26 %
14.17 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.8 IBU
28.35 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (40 min) Hops 27.5 IBU
28.35 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (20 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.95 qt of water at 163.4 F 152.0 F

Don't get me wrong, I like SNPA tons but I want something different for this and I don't have time for experimentation. It also needs to be a pale ale - it goes with the name! Plus I prefer ales....

I can't say how accurate that Mirror Pond recipe is, but the real stuff is a great beer. Drank the heck out of it last summer in Cali.

Also, if you are looking for an APA with a maltier flavor, my recent APA turned out really nice. The grain bill is 85% Golden Promise, 7% munich, 5% c60L, and 2.5% amber malt. Hopping was a ton of amarillo and centennial with some simcoe. I'll be brewing it again here shortly.

the Perfect Pint: Brew Day: American Pale Ale II

Brewed up that Guinness clone you posted Cidah tonight. Sparging wasnt fun until I added rice hulls, so much flaked barley made it like glue. Hit my gravity spot on, looking forward to comparing it to the other clone ive done for Guinness.

Brewed up that Guinness clone you posted Cidah tonight. Sparging wasnt fun until I added rice hulls, so much flaked barley made it like glue. Hit my gravity spot on, looking forward to comparing it to the other clone ive done for Guinness.

That is interesting that you had sparging issues - what kind of rig do you have for sparging? False bottom? When I did this brew I didn't have any issues wth the sparge.

I am looking forward to the comparison too. I am pretty sure I will be adding sour beer to one of the kegs too so see if that is a good or bad effect.

That is interesting that you had sparging issues - what kind of rig do you have for sparging? False bottom? When I did this brew I didn't have any issues wth the sparge.

I am looking forward to the comparison too. I am pretty sure I will be adding sour beer to one of the kegs too so see if that is a good or bad effect.

I've got a 10 gal igloo cooler with a false bottom. Didn't surprise me I had to use hulls since the flaked barely doesnt add much, if any, to the filtering.

I've got a 10 gal igloo cooler with a false bottom. Didn't surprise me I had to use hulls since the flaked barely doesnt add much, if any, to the filtering.

Altho I did mill them with the rest of the grains. Whats everyones take on milling flaked grains?

must just be a difference in the false bottom type then.

I ground it all up (figure it can't hurt the mash :D), but didn't add hulls. Used the standard 1lb per/1.25qt grist ratio

NIce! Like the hardware and sure wish I would gett off my butt and build one.

Just added a bag of cm pale to the buy!

24 bags in (ONLY 60 to go!!!) haha

i might be adding some soon (after i come home again) brewing 3 big beers could kill up to 1-2 sacks of grain

OK, I wasn't going to join another forum..but saw this thread and had to join...

Is the keg buy still on? I added myself to the spreadsheet. I am on board for 16 - 20 @$15. possibly 10 @$25.

Do we have a date we are looking at for pickup on these?

Thanks.

Hey Justin - you keep crank calling me :D

Picked up and heard background, but nobody responded. Phone troubles? Just messing with mer :D

Nighthawk
FYI
mparsons was running with the keg buy - not sure if he has made progress since we last brought it up.

Haven't signed on here in a bit. I'm sort of surprised you psychos didn't close out the order yet ;-)

I brewed my first beers of 2012 this weekend, side by side porters with different single hops - one northern brewer and one uk first gold. I thought it'd be a nice experiment. Since I've got a nice dual setup I think I'm going to do a lot of double brews with minor differences.

One problem I ran into that pissed me off though was my barley crusher rollers kept spinning free without pulling grain through until I'd empty the loader, completely clear the rollers, and reload. I've never had this problem before and it drove me nuts. Anyone experience this before?

Back