Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your killing me on this one :cross: Here is the issue, when we make the order request and get actual numbers NCM packs the stuff on a crate for shipment that day (and they want to get it out of the warehouse at that moment). We already irk them when we hold it up for several days while we collect money.

i.e. if you want to wait until that weekend we should either:

a. Keep the order open until a later date
b. Find a new place for delivery (any volunteers - this will have to be amiable to all participants in the buy of course; I might have a location for this... but not sure).

I know personally I was hoping to have every body paid up by the end of the week (I get the impression a lot of folks are chomping at the bit as well), call in payment late Friday or Monday and grain hand by Nov 7-8th.

What is the group consensus?

Everyone should have payment information from me by now. SAVE IT!! it is a royal PITA to send out PMs as they make you wait 60 seconds between each.

if worse came to worse you could always ship it to my place.. im always around.. haha

i sent you a pm cidah.. ill figure it out in the next couple days

Whoa dont string me up! Was just a question....

Not stringing you up ;) - but you did throw me a bit of a curve ball about 1 hour before I planned on placing the order. I thought the only days you couldn't accept the order were Nov 3-6.

Just letting you know the back end of these transactions. If you can't make some time for it untill 11/18 I totally understand, just need to know where we stand on it so we can either send the order as is or hold off.

Since these are commercial transactions by nature they are lacking when it comes to people like us (residential folk), with customer service.

remember when we got the order super early last time? That was because they shipped it out anyway, despite our direction to hold the order. Last thing I want to do is have the order show up somewhere with no one there to receive it.

If rustbucket were to take the order would you be able to get the buffalo and western NYer's grain back to your race shop?

Your killing me on this one :cross: Here is the issue, when we make the order request and get actual numbers NCM packs the stuff on a crate for shipment that day (and they want to get it out of the warehouse at that moment). We already irk them when we hold it up for several days while we collect money.

i.e. if you want to wait until that weekend we should either:

a. Keep the order open until a later date
b. Find a new place for delivery (any volunteers - this will have to be amiable to all participants in the buy of course; I might have a location for this... but not sure).

I know personally I was hoping to have every body paid up by the end of the week (I get the impression a lot of folks are chomping at the bit as well), call in payment late Friday or Monday and grain hand by Nov 7-8th.

What is the group consensus?

Everyone should have payment information from me by now. SAVE IT!! it is a royal PITA to send out PMs as they make you wait 60 seconds between each.

a) Since I have stuff to keep me busy, I am ok with whatever drives the group (i.e now or delayed are both ok)

b) You are welcome to deliver it to my place - 15 minutes east of Albany :)
I work part-time (theoretically retired) so I have pretty good availability there. I also don't have a spousal-unit that I need to explain why there are 63 sacks of grain plus containers of Star San and PBW in the garage. Unfortunately, I don't think the other group buyers that live West of Syracuse will like this idea, or even those west of Schenectady.

Not stringing you up ;) - but you did throw me a bit of a curve ball about 1 hour before I planned on placing the order. I thought the only days you couldn't accept the order were Nov 3-6.

Just letting you know the back end of these transactions. If you can't make some time for it untill 11/18 I totally understand, just need to know where we stand on it so we can either send the order as is or hold off.

Since these are commercial transactions by nature they are lacking when it comes to people like us (residential folk), with customer service.

remember when we got the order super early last time? That was because they shipped it out anyway, despite our direction to hold the order. Last thing I want to do is have the order show up somewhere with no one there to receive it.

If rustbucket were to take the order would you be able to get the buffalo and western NYer's grain back to your race shop?

to jhendersons, i could possibly i would just have to set something up with him. i just thought as a last resort swing to me :cross: if there is a hold up or anything...

I still dont really have a job so I am home 90% of the time.... (IT SUCKS!!!)

Im good to recieve it. Was just wondering since i had no idea how quick the turn around was so i figured id throw the question out

It does not matter to me if delivery is in Syr or Can. Would it help if people sent money orders or certified checks instead of personal checks?

It does not matter to me if delivery is in Syr or Can. Would it help if people sent money orders or certified checks instead of personal checks?

Either are fine, if one is more convenient than the next please use it. If you send me a bad check of course this will not only delay things, but I will expect you to reimburse me.

if you were planning on paying via credit card. You could always fund your paypal account with your credit card and then fund your bank account from paypal. From there you can write your check. I have never don't that before, but I am sure that it is easily done.

Jhenderson - if you can't take it at your place until 11/18 that is ok. I just need you to let me know what works for you.

EITHER WAY: Grain will get its way to jhendersons place for the people who were expecting the drive to that distance. Don't sweat it guys. Everyone will be taken care of ;)

No im good. I was banking on the check process + clearing and mailing to take awhile. I am goof other than this weekend i told you.

re: how long it would take to ship.

Jhenderson; if we make payments in full by the end of this week, I think it would take 3-4 days from the payment to NCM. i.e. we call in late this Friday and the order will ship Monday and you would probably receive it on Nov 9-10.

No im good. I was banking on the check process + clearing and mailing to take awhile. I am goof other than this weekend i told you.

ok in this case I am pulling the plug on the order and sending it in, 3,2,1. With any luck, they will hold the order as they have 3 out of the 4 times we have asked! :drunk:

Also - if payment delays, etc occur and they ship grain early like they did before, I will be in touch with you on who owes what. Obviously nobody gets grain before checks have cleared on my end.

This is for buyer's reference. Since the bags vary in size and our splits are all over the place for size I have put together the split amounts that you should be collecting based on those two factors. i.e. Find your name and for each split look to the right most detail for the lbs and oz that you will be taking for each split:

Buyer Item Quantity Bag Weight Share Total
----------------------------------------------------------------
CidahMastah TF-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
CidahMastah BZ-PILS 1 55 55lbs
CidahMastah GW-C60 0.334 50 16.5lbs
CidahMastah GW-C15 0.334 50 16.5lbs
CidahMastah TF-RSTB 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
CidahMastah TF-BRWN 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
CidahMastah BZ-ARO 0.25 55 13lbs 12oz
CidahMastah GP-FLCRN 0.25 50 12lbs 8oz
CidahMastah BD-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
CidahMastah CM-RYEM 0.165 55 9lbs 1 oz
CidahMastah GP-FLRCE 0.25 55 13lbs 12oz
CidahMastah StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
CidahMastah PBW 7lbs 2oz
Buffalo Brewer TF-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer BZ-PILS 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer CM-2ROW 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer BD-VIEN 0.5 55 27.5lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Jason BD-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Andy CM-2ROW 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Andy BD-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Matt BD-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Matt CM-2ROW 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Jeff BZ-MUNH 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Jeff BZ-VIEN 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer - Kate CM-2ROW 1 55 55lbs
Buffalo Brewer StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
Buffalo Brewer PBW 7lbs 2oz
Bierhaus15 TF-PCHO 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
Bierhaus15 TF-RSTB 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
Bierhaus15 TF-BRWN 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
jhenderson27 GP-FLWHT 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
jhenderson27 TF-RSTB 0.2 55 11lbs
jhenderson27 BZ-ARO 0.125 55 6lbs 14oz
jhenderson27 GP-FLCRN 0.25 50 12lbs 8oz
jhenderson27 TF-PCHO 0.114 55 6lbs 4oz
jhenderson27 TF-BRWN 0.165 55 9lbs 1 oz
jhenderson27 GP-FLRCE 0.25 55 13lbs 12oz
jhenderson27 PBW 7lbs 2oz
jhenderson 27 StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
copyright1997 GW-C60 0.334 50 16.5lbs
copyright1997 GW-C15 0.334 50 16.5lbs
copyright1997 BZ-VIEN 1 55 55lbs
copyright1997 GW-C40 0.334 50 16.5lbs
copyright1997 BZ-CRPL 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
copyright1997 GP-FLWHT 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
copyright1997 BZ-ARO 0.25 55 13lbs 12oz
copyright1997 GP-FLCRN 0.25 50 12lbs 8oz
copyright1997 TF-PCHO 0.114 55 6lbs 4oz
copyright1997 CM-RYEM 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
copyright1997 GP-FLRCE 0.5 55 27.5lbs
copyright1997 CM-WHET 0.5 55 27.5lbs
copyright1997 StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
copyright1997 PBW 7lbs 2oz
CBK CM-2ROW 1 55 55lbs
CBK TF-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
CBK GW-C60 0.334 50 16.5lbs
CBK StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
rustbucket CM-2ROW 2 55 110lbs
rustbucket GW-VIEN 1 50 50lbs
rustbucket BD-PALE 1 55 55lbs
rustbucket BD-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
rustbucket GW-C15 0.334 50 16.5lbs
rustbucket TF-RSTB 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
rustbucket TF-PCHO 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
rustbucket GW-C40 0.334 50 16.5lbs
rustbucket FB-CHOC 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
rustbucket CM-RYEM 0.165 55 9lbs 1 oz
TwoGunz TF-BRWN 0.165 55 9lbs 1 oz
TwoGunz BD-VIEN 1 55 55lbs
TwoGunz BD-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
TwoGunz TF-RSTB 0.47 55 25lbs 13oz
TwoGunz GP-FLWHT 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
TwoGunz BZ-ARO 0.25 55 13lbs 12oz
TwoGunz CM-RYEM 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
Twogunz StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
drocu CM-2ROW 1 55 55lbs
drocu TF-RSTB 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
drocu GW-C40 0.334 50 16.5lbs
drocu BZ-CRPL 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
drocu TF-PCHO 0.114 55 6lbs 4oz
drocu FB-CHOC 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
drocu GW-C60 0.5 50 25lbs
drocu PBW 7lbs 2oz
Drocu StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
Stunsm CM-2ROW 2 55 110lbs
Stunsm BD-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
Stunsm TF-MOPA 1 55 55lbs
JeffB418 BD-MOPA 2 55 110lbs
JeffB418 TF-OPTC 1 55 55lbs
JeffB418 BZ-MUNH 1 55 55lbs
JeffB418 CM-2ROW 2 55 110lbs
JeffB418 BD-VIEN 0.5 55 27.5lbs
JeffB418 GP-FLCRN 0.25 50 12lbs 8oz
JeffB419 CM-WHET 0.5 55 27.5lbs
JeffB418 PBW 7lbs 2oz
jbsengineer GW-PALE 1 50 50lbs
jbsengineer CM-2ROW 1 55 55lbs
jbsengineer BZ-PILS 1 55 55lbs
jbsengineer PBW 7lbs 2oz
jbsengineer StarSan 1 Gallon Jug
Smashing CM-2ROW 2 55 110lbs
Smashing BZ-ARO 0.125 55 6lbs 14oz
Smashing FB-CHOC 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz
Smashing GW-C60 0.5 50 25lbs
Mparsons327 CM-2ROW 6 55 330lbs
Mparsons327 BZ-CRPL 0.334 55 18lbs 5oz

Just a note, my 2ROW should be this (red notes changes):

JeffB418 BD-MOPA 2 55 110lbs
JeffB418 TF-OPTC 1 55 55lbs
JeffB418 BZ-MUNH 1 55 55lbs
JeffB418 CM-2ROW 2 55 110lbs
JeffB418 BD-VIEN 0.5 55 27.5lbs
JeffB418 GP-FLCRN 0.25 50 12lbs 8oz
JeffB419 CM-WHET 0.5 55 27.5lbs

ok in this case I am pulling the plug on the order and sending it in, 3,2,1. With any luck, they will hold the order as they have 3 out of the 4 times we have asked! :drunk:

Also - if payment delays, etc occur and they ship grain early like they did before, I will be in touch with you on who owes what. Obviously nobody gets grain before checks have cleared on my end.

It is my opinion that Cidah has gone above and beyond to make this happen. This whole paypal thing sucks. I do not think it is too much trouble for all involved to make a trip to the bank and send this man a money order or bank check to help expedite things. For those using a credit card you could go to your bank, get a cash advance and obtain a money order or bank check. Computers are nice but sometimes we just have to do things the old way. The last thing I want to see is any more hassle for Cidah. Money orders and bank checks are the next best thing to sending cash.

im doing the paypal thing... transfer money from my CC to my bank account, then ill deal with it from there... personally i could always drive my stuff to his house or drop it off at his work.. if he wants me to do it that way.. haha:p

in spite of it being Halloween i thought i would share this for you guys who have dogs..

I thought this was funny/awesome at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
im doing the paypal thing... transfer money from my CC to my bank account, then ill deal with it from there... personally i could always drive my stuff to his house or drop it off at his work.. if he wants me to do it that way.. haha:p

That is totally cool. I was thinking more about people that do not live in the Syr area.

Thanks for the support CBK - I certainly try to make this user friendly and hated to put the pickup location off on jhenderson, but my wife was getting testy! haha. Thanks to jhenderson to stepping up to the plate as well.

*** I forgot to put in the chemical buy stuff, so check post #534 for the updated version with your chemical stuff added in with the quantity in lbs for the PBW.

Will let you know when I have actual pricing.

** we can do cash too, just assumed people didn't want to mail cash, and/or, might be more convenient to to mail something vs. try to meet up with me to pay me.

I am off work today and drinking. Just finished kegging my DFH 60 min IPA (Yoopers Recipe). It is an easy brew for all IPA fans and only requires 2 row and amber malt. It would be wonderful if someone would step up and complete the split with me and Mparsons327 for the amber grain. The fall harvest should be kicking in shortly and Simcoe hops should be readily available. If anyone is interested please step up and make this happen.

FYI:

I already sent in the order request to the buyer; he did get back to me and said he was without power and the order might go out as late as Wednesday.

This isn't an offer to open back up the grain order, however if someone were to close that amber split asap I probably could work that into the order. No promises though!

FYI:

I already sent in the order request to the buyer; he did get back to me and said he was without power and the order might go out as late as Wednesday.

This isn't an offer to open back up the grain order, however if someone were to close that amber split asap I probably could work that into the order. No promises though!

If you want to get it closed, I will take it.

Please, no more splits as I can't keep myself from saying yes.

If you could, would you be so kind as to give me an updated estimate on my cost (all in). Since I live further away, I want to get a check + out to you in today's mail (i.e. deliver envelope to Post Office today before they close around 4:30pm). (I will make the check a bit extra to make sure I am covered.)

If you want to get it closed, I will take it.

Please, no more splits as I can't keep myself from saying yes.

If you could, would you be so kind as to give me an updated estimate on my cost (all in). Since I live further away, I want to get a check + out to you in today's mail (i.e. deliver envelope to Post Office today before they close around 4:30pm). (I will make the check a bit extra to make sure I am covered.)

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Hate to be a PITA but if you like IPA'S and decide to try Yoopers DFH 60 min clone I am sure you will be happy. The recipe is very easy to find here on HBT.

No sweat - I have that split added - but now ORDER IS CLOSED ;) haha

Ok - this is an estimate for everyone all up to date:

CidahMastah $267.00
Buffalo Brewer $487.48
Bierhaus15 $47.35
Jhenderson27 $106.59
Copyright1997 $242.89
CBK $137.12
rustbucket $261.87
twogunz $175.34
drocu $163.57
stunsm $153.39
Jeffb418 $298.81
jbsengineer $160.83
Smashing $104.91
Mparsons327 $225.94

If you have any cleaning products, you would add about $7.20 shipping for each. So copyright1997 - yours would be about $257.29 including the shipping for each chem.

Keep in mind the market changes the prices slightly and the shipping value is a pretty big variable at this point. So while I think in the end out shipping could be under $7 it might actually be goosed up to $9 per bag if they charge certain fees per pallet (I hope/don't think they do).

I am hoping that the shipping charges are $455 total ($6.80 per bag), but they could be up to $600 ($8.96 per bag).

Lastly - I included the qty sheet on post #2 so you can get your up to date portions of lb/oz for your splits based on 50-55lb bag sizing.

CURRENT STATUS:

1. (PENDING) Collected 64 sacks of grain​
2. (PENDING)Our request for quote (RFQ) has been made​
3. (PENDING)We hear back from the buyer on actual cost (PENDING) I pass out the actual cost to everyone​
4. (PENDING)Everybody pays up (the order will NOT ship until everyone has paid via money order/certified check/check)​
5. (PENDING)Once payed up (following the paypal instructions on page one of this thread) - the order will ship.​
6. (PENDING) CidahMastah will let everyone know when the shipment is to arrive (PENDING) and where it is shipping to (PENDING) , when to pick it up(PENDING) .​
7. (PENDING)We all slap high five and say job well done.​

Chopin at the bit. Wife and kids gave me a Barley Crusher this weekend for my Birthday. Can't wait to run some grain through it.

Good luck with the grain mill just my opinion but a drill sure makes life easier.

CBK, That Dogfish head clone is the exact reason I started the amber split! It's and awesome easy beer for anyone who wants to try it!

Good luck with the grain mill just my opinion but a drill sure makes life easier.

207523_552511550477_21600820_31689029_5301483_n.jpg

I hooked up a variable speed DC motor to my mill. Although the torque on the motor is so freakishly high that if a finger ever got into the rollers... kiss it goodbye! Also note I used an extra chuck I had from a old drill press to mate the two together. Works well. This is a Monster Mill.

Saweet. Jeff - you wouldn't happen to have some more detail on your rig would you? I have seen another motor people use but don't like it. Is your motor one you had lying around, or perhaps one you bought? I would love to check the price and pick one up if it made sense.

Saweet. Jeff - you wouldn't happen to have some more detail on your rig would you? I have seen another motor people use but don't like it. Is your motor one you had lying around, or perhaps one you bought? I would love to check the price and pick one up if it made sense.

It's something my dad picked up from the trash at work. I can get the model of it, but its most likely going to cost a lot - DC/DC high torque motors don't come cheap.

It's something my dad picked up from the trash at work. I can get the model of it, but its most likely going to cost a lot - DC/DC high torque motors don't come cheap.

that is what I thought :)

Oh well, looks like I am still going to be using my drill!

Back