Swollen airway after crushing grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
Anyone experience this? Whenever I crush grain at my LHBS with their electric mill I notice my airway and throat are swollen and my breathing is slightly restricted. Maybe an allergy to pulverized barley dust. It goes away after an hour or so, certainly not enough to make me stop AG brewing or mailorder only.

Anyone experience this? Whenever I crush grain at my LHBS with their electric mill I notice my airway and throat are swollen and my breathing is slightly restricted. Maybe an allergy to pulverized barley dust. It goes away after an hour or so, certainly not enough to make me stop AG brewing or mailorder only.

That doesn't sound good man.. Any way you can wait outside the room while they crush for you?...

Fortunately not had that happen, although I sometimes will sneeze a lot after the crush. Crushing at home lets you malt condition which eliminates most of the dust. Ask your LHBS to crush the grains for you, so you don't drop dead on the floor, which can be messy!

I was just at my LHBS today and the dude behind the counter told me that the same thing happens to him...he has to have another employee mill the grains for him when someone asks...he just doesn't do it anymore.

It's obviously an allergic reaction and one that should be taken very seriously. You could get a mask to wear when you are dealing with crushed grains... like a painters mask. If you had a noticeable airway constriction in the presence of the grain milling dust, you should be very careful. That is a rather 'severe' reaction to happen in such a short time. Too much of the allergen could make the reaction increase in intensity and you could find yourself choking. If you are intent on taking that risk, I would recommend carrying an epinephrine pen like the ones for bee sting reactions with you.

It sounds like you're experiencing an allergic reaction. Better get that checked out and take any necessary precautions; there may be another grain that you are even more allergic to that you haven't encountered... yet.

It is an allergic-type reaction, but not the type where an epi pen would be needed. Those are anaphylactic reactions, this is just a sensitivity to the dust which is irratating your airways. I'm not saying that it is something that you dont have to worry about, but just wear a mask and you should be good to go.

"Allergic-type reaction????" Uh, no...THIS IS AN ALLERGIC REACTION if the OP truly is having tracheal swelling and mild dyspnea. Don't screw around with this, wear a mask at the very least. You should have your LHBS grind your grain for you or wear a mask and take a Benadryl before you grind your grain. Allergic reactions can and do progress with repeated exposure. You may not need an Epi Pen now, but you may in the future. Stop repeatedly needlessly exposing yourself to known allergens and just have someone else grind your grains.

Not sure if it's an allergic reaction, but my breathing is affected a bit when I crush my grains if I breath the dust in. I always attributed it to having that crap in my lungs, but who knows. I just pull my shirt up over my nose while crushing and all is well.

i have the same reaction, so i carry a salbutamol inhaler with me to brew...

One of the employees at my LHBS wears a 3m mask almost continually. So maybe (conjecture) more common than the OP thought.

I wear a 3M mask when I mill, I haven't had an allergic reaction, I just don't want all that dust getting into my lungs. I also wear the mask when I am doughing in as well, again because of the dust.

Someone mentioned repeated exposure can make the reaction more severe, I agree 100%. I never had an allergy to avocado until recently, it started out as mild heartburn, then it got progressively more severe because I would just pop a few Tums after eating avocado in a meal, now if I eat avocado I get severe heartburn and I lose my balance and start swelling up, so now it is avoided at all cost. Damn, I loved Guacamole too!

That's funny.. I just posted this same thing yesterday morning. I get the same conjestion in the chest. Lasts a few hours too. Albuterol inhaler fixes it for an hour or two then it's back. Wearing a mask / respirator from now on.

Probably reactive airways and not an allergic reaction. Wear a mask, and don't take too much stock in advice from a message board. Especially when it regards your health.

Probably reactive airways and not an allergic reaction. Wear a mask, and don't take too much stock in advice from a message board. Especially when it regards your health.

I couldn't agree more. I would ask your Doctor about it. He may want to do allergy tests. At the very least use a nuisance mask while grinding/handling dry grains. An epipen is probably not needed but your doc may give you a scrip for Albuterol as a "rescue inhaler".

The cheap fix is to wear a mask and go to the store and pick up a Primatene Inhaler which is pure epi. This is no substitute for seeing your GP....but health care in the US being what it is and all.....

Did some reading and grain exposure or people who react like that can eventually lead to COPD. The studies were on people in the agriculture industry, so I think it was longer exposure and more often than a homebrewer would experience, but still worth thinking about.

Here's the deal people...breathing ANYTHING particulate is bad for your lungs! Some people are more sensitive than others, but even if you don't have symptoms like the OP, breathing dust/smoke/aerosol of any kind is not good for your lungs! Particulate masks are cheap, and available at any Lowe's/Home Depot if you can't crush your grain out in an open, breezy area.

I don't play a doctor on TV, but I have treated a lot of COPDers...

Huh, so I guess I should wear a mask from now on. My LHBS is a "mill your own grain" type of place. So, I guess I'll be the oddball wearing a mask. Oh well, better than swelling up. I never get this while brewing, only when milling.

Did some reading and grain exposure or people who react like that can eventually lead to COPD. The studies were on people in the agriculture industry, so I think it was longer exposure and more often than a homebrewer would experience, but still worth thinking about.

Highly unlikely COPD would develop from exposure to crushed grains. COPD is an acronym for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, a restrictive lung disease is more likely. Again, taking advice in regard to your health from a message board is generally not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back