SWMBO wants a Apricot Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
SWMBO picked up a apricot ale and she loves it. She wants me to brew a batch of it.

I am a noob to home brewing. First batch (Bavarian Hefe) is in the secondary now. I have looked at all the homebrew sites can dont see a extract kit for a Apricot ale. Was wondering what extract kit would make a good base then add a apricot extract too it that would complement the base beer.

I'm guessing i would add the apricot extract to the beer in the secondary?

Thanks!

Why not add apricots to secondary?

I have made some beer that my SWMBO claims to taste like apricots. Guessing it is the Amarillo Hops that she is tasting.

But I don't use fruit at all and don't ever see myself doing so. Just a personal matter.

I would look for something like a blueberry or raspberry beer kit. Either a wheat or ale kit. Then just see if you can find apricot extract at your LHBS and try substituting the apricot extract for whatever extract comes with the kit.

There are two Apricot Ale recipes that I've wanted to try. If you like Magic Hat #9, then Jamil's show "Can You Brew It" claimed to have a good clone of it:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-magic-hat-number-9-a-175571/

There's also a DogFish Head Aprihop recipe I found somewhere:

9.5 lbs. 2-Row
1 lb. Munich
1 lb. CaraPils
.5 lb. Caramel 60

Mash for 1 hour at 155F

60 Min. additions:
.5 oz. Amarillo
.5 oz. Centinial
.25 oz. Simcoe

20 Min. additions:
.5 oz. Amarillo
.25 oz. Centinial

5 Min. Addtion:
1 oz. Glacier

Dry Hopped with .25 oz each of Amarillo and Glacier.

Ferment at 68F with Wyeast Ringwood

rehydrate 4-6 lbs. of Dehydrated unsulphored Apricots, added into secondary

Personally, I think the extract is a better way to go. If you purchase apricot puree, you're going to have to secondary and spend more for the fruit than the beer! Tasty (from the Jamil show) used extract, which give more aroma than puree will.

Go for a simple American Wheat kit. Northern Brewer's is as good as any, and it's very simple: Just a quantity of Wheat extract (a mix of wheat and pale malts). Before you check out, add a bottle of apricot extract; NB is out of stock, but Austin HB has it.

Add the apricot flavoring to taste when you rack to your bottling bucket. Go a little - just a little - heavy on the flavoring, because you'll lose some in the carbonation.

Austin also list an Apricot Wheat kit.

Have fun! :mug:

Bob

+1 on AHS extract kits. They are easy and it will be a great way to ease into fruit beer without adding it to the secondary if you are not comfortable with that yet.

Thanks guys! Not sure how i missed that one at AHS but that is exactly what i am looking for.

Not to get too far off the subject, but how is that Dogfish Aprihop? Both the clone recipe and the real stuff.

I had it at a recent beer festival (the real stuff). It was really good.. of course I love just about everything that comes out of DFH. I wish I could compare it side-by-side with other apricot beers, but my state (SC) may have to wait a few more months before getting DFH.

Never tried the clone, it's on my "list".

I've tried this recipe 4x and am going to bre it again in about a week and always has great reviews and is stong on the apricot. I prefer it to DFH, but it's basically a blonde ale with puree added in the primary psot boil, then extract added at bottling/kegging. hope this helps........ http://www.drydockbrewing.com/Recipes/ApricotBlondeMaltExtract/tabid/780/Default.aspx if you need an all-grain they have that up there too.

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I'm brewing the Aprihop recipe listed on page 1 of this forum this weekend. I found bulk dehydrated, unsulphored apricots at a local Whole Foods and I'm trying to decide how to use them in the secondary. I've heard people talk about pureeing them or just chopping them and dropping them in the secondary. My original plan was to chop the dehydrated apricots into relatively small pieces, boil enough water to cover them and pour that on them to sanitize them, strain the apricot pieces out, drop those into the secondary and then rack from the primary on top of the apricot chunks. I figured I would let it sit for a week or two and maybe even rack to a tertiary fermenter for another week to clarify a little if needed.

I'm apprehensive about pureeing the 4-6 lbs. the recipe calls for. I personally think the real brew from DFH is maybe a little too sweet / fruity and would like to tone it back just a little bit. Will I lose most all of the flavor if I go ahead as planned? Should I just go ahead and puree a smaller amount (maybe 3 to 4 lbs.) and dump the puree straight into the secondary? I've also considered leaving the apricot part of the recipe as is and increasing the IBUs a little to compensate for the sweetness.

I appreciate any help as the dehydrated apricots weren't cheap and I'm really looking forward to this beer for the summer so I really don't want to screw it up and have to try again.

Thanks

Let me know how it turns out, I'm curious to make one myself. If I were you, I'd also get a small bottle of extract and put a few drops in your glass when you serve it. The aroma is almost as important (if not more) than the flavor.

Trying to revive this old thread to see if anyone has tried the recipe on page 1. I am between brewing this or Yooper's 60 minute clone this weekend. I haven't been able to find any recipes for Aprihop and am hedging my bets on this one. Anyone give this a shot?

BTW - I would sub Warrior for the 60 min add.

Latest posts

Back