SWMBO Hobbies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife just picked up a sewing machine a couple months ago. She loves it and I'm happy she finally has a hobby. Come Janurary after we have the baby, I'm going to try and get her into my latest hobby. Fitness. Running and weight lifting. Really if she just got into running I'd be happy. I did my first Warrior Dash this past weekend and am now hooked on obstacles Races. I'm hoping she'll do them with me in 2012.

This is the same hobby my wife took up when she was expecting our son 11 years ago, she decided to make him a quilt and the rest is history. She now has a dedicated sewing room, I gave up my office which I didn't need as much as I travel. There are two sewing machines, a surger, two layout tables and more stuff that can cut you than a glass factory. So once it cools off and she wraps the yard/garden work up for the year the handbags and quilts will be soon to follow. Happy Wife = Happy Life.

I still can't imagine not having any hobbies. My sister-in-law is like this. Never has had any hobbies, and probably never will.

Seems like life would suck tremendously without stuff to do. And I could never be with anyone who didn't have some hobbies...

I still can't imagine not having any hobbies. My sister-in-law is like this. Never has had any hobbies, and probably never will.

Seems like life would suck tremendously without stuff to do. And I could never be with anyone who didn't have some hobbies...

That's funny I also have a sil that has no hobbies. Unless watching reality TV and abstaining from cooking or cleaning counts.

My wife is an indentured servant to academia. 60 hour weeks and reading and writing papers and grants the rest of her waking hours in addition to basic household maintenance and child-rearing.

She talks of working out and of hobbies but there is no follow-through (she just doesn't prioritize it). I am hoping she finds a more stable family-friendly job with Thing 2 on the way else I may well lose my marbles for my hobby.

Mine has quite a few hobbies, and we share a few as well.

She paints, and is pretty damn good at it. Her best painting was lost in the move, but it was a close up (faces) of two girls who were side by side and were clearly different races, but were painted with the same colors. It was so cool. We looked for it forever. :(

When she's not painting or going to class, she's being the biggest RUSH nerd ever. (if she ever had the chance, she'd leave me for Neil Peart, or Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and probably even the original drummer.)

We both like playing board games and are pretty big nerds, so we like playing games like Catan and have recently started playing Munchkin. When I get some more cash we're going to start playing ZOMBIES!!! too.

As crazy as this sounds, I think you need to spend more time with her assuming you even want to and if not than its time to move on. I’m pretty sure the beer isn’t going anywhere... maybe start doing larger batches so the brewing time / beer ratio is more accommodating. I’m a proponent of the book mentioned below.

The five love languages are "modes" of communication set forth in The Five Love Languages by relationship counselor Gary Chapman. They include:

•Quality Time
•Words of Affirmation
•Gifts
•Acts of Service
•Physical Touch

Mine has many but the two right now that keep her the most busy are gardening and making concrete sculptures which she is very,very good at. She actually makes a form and then carves it. Very much like making statues. But that is a physical hobby, you really need to want to do it, lugging and mixing all the concrete.

I have tons myself, many we share, but I really think she needs to find her own. She has none because she has no interest. Hobbies come from wanting to do, period. But yes, unless you are exposed to ideas you never know it is something you can do.

I myself, wish I had more time (and $$$) to devote to my saltwater reef tank (125g).

I watch Martha Stewart (because she does) and she is always discussing hobbies for ideas.

+1 to the running. I know you said she's tried jogging in the past, but has she ever done a race? My wife and I started running 3.5 years ago with the couch to 5k program, and the rest is history. Running is a great release for us, especially when the stress starts piling up (and it sounds like you all have pretty busy schedules). And there's just something about finishing a race that gives you a great feeling of accomplishment.

My wife recently completed her first triahtlon, and is currently training for her first full marathon. Me, I'm still just a half-marathoner :eek:

+1 to the running. I know you said she's tried jogging in the past, but has she ever done a race? My wife and I started running 3.5 years ago with the couch to 5k program, and the rest is history. Running is a great release for us, especially when the stress starts piling up (and it sounds like you all have pretty busy schedules). And there's just something about finishing a race that gives you a great feeling of accomplishment.

My wife recently completed her first triahtlon, and is currently training for her first full marathon. Me, I'm still just a half-marathoner :eek:
Yeah, there is a huge difference from just running to run (stupid and boring) and running with a goal. My wife HATED running until I signed her up for her first 5K. Now she loves it. Even training runs, since all the time she spends training takes time off her 5K time. She shed 10 minutes (a LOT of time in a 5K) of her time in a matter of about 6 months.

Latest posts

Back