SWMBO has had it with my kitchen brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr1nkBeer said:
I know the feeling but.... you know those buddies that show up and drink you brew?... invite a few over on brew day. Some of my buds show up right on schedule... Inside i like to brew by my self.. but outside I invite some friends..

Don't have many/any of them. I'm 34, just moved 1500mi from where we were, and seems like most people here already have lifelong friends. Price of being old and out of your hometown I guess. I ain't complaining. More time with kids and such. Won't look back and wish id spent more time with drinking buddies, I'm sure

I can't really get the boot out of the kitchen, she is the person after all that bought my initial set up. She knows that I am just as happy going to the local bar or heading to Target where they sell Racer5 for 6.50 a sixer. I am good about cleaning up. As for the smell, she loves it, just hates the taste of beer. I have recently bought a 35 qt turkey fryer for doing batches outside, for me it was a chance to brew some better beer and stop spending so much money on extracts for PM batches.

My wife didn't like the smell from the start but never complained. I looked around for used turkey fryers and found the 100,000 unit at Home Depot to be a much better deal than anything I found used or new. This was my 1st outside venture. LOVED IT!

IMG_0869.jpg

I can do a BIAB batch In 3.5 hrs which is only a little more than an extract batch would take me on the stove. I love brewing outside with my propane burner.

Go for full AG, you can do it in just a tad longer if you plan well.

This is my Thursday, "work" from home, brew day schedule.
I drop the kids a summer camp 9 am,
9:15 I am furiously setting up
Mashing 9:45-10:45
Sparge 10:45-11:15
Boil 11:30-12:30
Coool down 12:30-12:45
Brew Bucket 12:45-1:00
Pitch yeast/cellar beer 1:00
Cleanup 1:00-2
Pickup kids 2pm.

Grand total of brewing just under 4 hours, if I am good/smart, I cleanup during the boil and by 1 pm I am done. Only thing that sux is no drinking till after I pick up kids :( I know it is almost sacrilegious to not drink a brew from the last batch during a session, but i make up for it later.

My Setup.

Yup im done in about the same time. I also cleanup during the boil... I pitch outside after beer and yeast reach equal temps...

This move to the garage is turning out to be even more awesome! I'm going to start getting the hang of AG brewing prior to progressing to the next step, but I have talked it over with the wife, and she's on board.

I'm an electrical engineering student at KU and I am going to propose the idea of creating an automated brewing setup for my senior project. The idea will be to have a touch screen interface (Android tablet) where you will put in your OG goal, wort volume, mash and sparge times and temps, and hop edition times. Press start and then come back later when the alarm goes off with your wort at pitching temp in the fermenter.

It seems complex enough for a senior project and also scalable for use in the real world. My brother inlaw owns a hair salon in another town and wants to open a brewery there since they don't have one for 60-65 miles. It would have to be easy for him to operate, so having it as automated as possible would be great. It might even be possible to operate it via cell phones since I'm looking to primarily use Android and Java.

This move to the garage is turning out to be even more awesome! I'm going to start getting the hang of AG brewing prior to progressing to the next step, but I have talked it over with the wife, and she's on board.

I'm an electrical engineering student at KU and I am going to propose the idea of creating an automated brewing setup for my senior project. The idea will be to have a touch screen interface (Android tablet) where you will put in your OG goal, wort volume, mash and sparge times and temps, and hop edition times. Press start and then come back later when the alarm goes off with your wort at pitching temp in the fermenter.

It seems complex enough for a senior project and also scalable for use in the real world. My brother inlaw owns a hair salon in another town and wants to open a brewery there since they don't have one for 60-65 miles. It would have to be easy for him to operate, so having it as automated as possible would be great. It might even be possible to operate it via cell phones since I'm looking to primarily use Android and Java.

:ban: :mug: Keep us posted on this! Sounds pretty slick!

My SWMBO says it smells like a wet ferret rolling around in warm grape nuts.

Haha. My son has 2 ferrets in the basement and everyone in the house says they smell better than when I brew.... WTF? They must be taking Crazy Pills!

I've been eyeballin the move to AG anyways. Looks like I may be included in the "victims" of the kitchen curse.

I can't really get the boot out of the kitchen, she is the person after all that bought my initial set up. She knows that I am just as happy going to the local bar or heading to Target where they sell Racer5 for 6.50 a sixer. I am good about cleaning up. As for the smell, she loves it, just hates the taste of beer. I have recently bought a 35 qt turkey fryer for doing batches outside, for me it was a chance to brew some better beer and stop spending so much money on extracts for PM batches.

My wife got my initial setup as well and she likes the smell when I'm brewing. She's not a big beer drinker but she does enjoy a good beer every now and again. To keep her content, I've made a couple of fruit beers which are still in primary and secondary which I think she will enjoy.

Latest posts

Back