Switching to Lower Pressure Propane Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unviewtiful

Reaction score
I use a Bayou Classic KAB6 to brew 10 gallon batches in a keggle and the propane regulator went out on me this weekend mid-brew. Everything was working great until we switched propane tanks at which point I could not get anything flowing through the regulator and hose. I went to the LHBS to get a new regulator/valve/hose assembly and they only had the 0-10 psi version. Being in a bind, I bought it and hoped for the best. I was able to get the wort to a boil and finish the brew day, but I'm still not sure if the low pressure regulator is the right tool for the job. As I understand it, the higher pressure regulator will only affect the top end, or when the burner is at full blast. Even with the low pressure regulator, I was not running full blast to boil a 10 gallon batch.

Is there any reason I'm missing that I should get a replacement 30 psi regulator?

Back