Swing top bottles from Trader Joe's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fransjoe

Reaction score
Saw some green swingtops at Trader Joe's the other day. Filled with Ginger Ale, but had me thinking; at $2.99 each, it is cheaper than trying the LHBS or looking for swing top beers to collect the bottles.

Anyone tried these?

Trader Joe's... Grolsch I think it is...I have those swing tops they work fine, however be advised, they can and do blow up, inspite of how thick they are. I have made Ginger Soda, and with a smidge of yeast, I have had them blow up, so DO make sure you are attenuated before bottling and Priming would be advised at 4.2oz - 4.5 to 5 gal max of priming sugar when doing so.
I have a batch of soda conditioning at the moment in TJ swing tops, ginger soda's and Grolsch. Champagne Yeast, however I guess the batch is prob a 1070 and had never been ate down to a 1010 so it is a lot of sugar for the yeast and will make bottle bombs within a week. So 3 days max at 78ºf and then in the fridge to arrest the yeast.
I would buy a bench capper and get Sierra Nevada's or Sam Adams Cases when they are seasonal, a case is so much easier to bottle and store. A buck a bottle avg. filled with beer.
I keg now so I have a batch of bottles due to be recycled. Keeping a case for Specialty beer that I do not want as an everyday tap.

I would rather have brown bottles than green. I do have a dozen 11-ounce swing-tops I bought off Amazon for providing easy samples of beers and the occasional storing of beer at the end of a keg. But they're brown.

Trader Joe's... Grolsch I think it is...I have those swing tops they work fine, however be advised, they can and do blow up, inspite of how thick they are. I have made Ginger Soda, and with a smidge of yeast, I have had them blow up, so DO make sure you are attenuated before bottling and Priming would be advised at 4.2oz - 4.5 to 5 gal max of priming sugar when doing so.
I have a batch of soda conditioning at the moment in TJ swing tops, ginger soda's and Grolsch. Champagne Yeast, however I guess the batch is prob a 1070 and had never been ate down to a 1010 so it is a lot of sugar for the yeast and will make bottle bombs within a week. So 3 days max at 78ºf and then in the fridge to arrest the yeast.
I would buy a bench capper and get Sierra Nevada's or Sam Adams Cases when they are seasonal, a case is so much easier to bottle and store. A buck a bottle avg. filled with beer.
I keg now so I have a batch of bottles due to be recycled. Keeping a case for Specialty beer that I do not want as an everyday tap.
I already have 46 Lagunitas IPA bottles donated by a co worker, I was hoping to use the TJ bottles for the excess beer I'll have, since I'm 10 bottles short

I get 53 avg to 5 gal, because of cake use the last 18 oz for beer batter, since it usually has quite a bit of cake draw. Once fridged it settles and I pour off, or Decant, as the purist would say to make beer batter for Fish and chips.

Note to all-- OP is talking about GINGER ALE bottles from Trader Joe's not Grolsch bottles! ;)

The ginger ale is carbonated, but I do not know that I would suggest OP to trust bottle carbing in them; personally, I would err on the side of caution, and get a few more brown 12oz bottles to carb in. If you cannot find empties, but a six pack of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, enjoy the beer, then use those bottle!

My $0.02

:mug:

Soda is typically carbed to 3.5 volumes. They won't have any problem holding typical beer carbonation.

Green let's in more UV than brown, so keep them in the dark.

Back