Sweetwater IPA extract clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GravyTrain77

Reaction score
Has anyone found a good extract clone for Sweetwater IPA? I had it last year and loved the beer. Unfortunately i'm in the north east and can't remember the flavors. Hoping to replicate it as closely as possible.

I'd give this a try. I'm converting it from an all grain recipe that is pretty solid.

6.75 lbs light DME
.33 lbs wheat DME

Steep 1lb Munich and .5lb crystal 80

1oz chinook. 60min
1oz cascade. 15min
1oz us goldings 1min
2oz simcoe. 1 min
2oz simcoe. Dry
1oz us goldings dry

Wyeast 1968 London ESB (Fullers) at 67F

I was at Sweetwater last weekend for an AHA rally. The brewers gave us tours and confirmed 1968/002 as their yeast for virtually all their beers. The IPA definitely has Simcoe as the primary aroma hop. The recipe above looks like a good start on it.

I'd give this a try. I'm converting it from an all grain recipe that is pretty solid.

6.75 lbs light DME
.33 lbs wheat DME

Steep 1lb Munich and .5lb crystal 80

1oz chinook. 60min
1oz cascade. 15min
1oz us goldings 1min
2oz simcoe. 1 min
2oz simcoe. Dry
1oz us goldings dry

Wyeast 1968 London ESB (Fullers) at 67F

Thx a lot! Is this for 5gal batch? I was thinking about 10-12# of LME. Didn't consider DME.

Oh sorry! It's for 6gal at end of boil. I always scale up so that I can end up with a minimum of 5gal when bottled. Yeah LME will darken it a little as I'm sure you know, but that's fine. I think 10-12# will put you way over gravity. This should be an og around 1.067.

Gbarron, yeah I was there too. Did you enjoy it? Johnathan the brewer was very helpful.

Oh sorry! It's for 6gal at end of boil. I always scale up so that I can end up with a minimum of 5gal when bottled. Yeah LME will darken it a little as I'm sure you know, but that's fine. I think 10-12# will put you way over gravity. This should be an og around 1.067.

Gbarron, yeah I was there too. Did you enjoy it? Johnathan the brewer was very helpful.

Still haven't gotten to brew this yet but plugged it all in BrewersFriend so I could easily find it. I chgd it to 5 gallon batch and the OG came out to 1.067 like you said but the IBUs are only at 38.85 instead of the expected 65; think I may be doing something incorrect. Can you take a look?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/66742/sweetwater-ipa

Question on this beer... I am about to brew this up Saturday. This is what I have:

6 lbs Pilsen LME
1 lb Golden Light DME
1 lb Wheat DME

8 oz Munich 20L
8 oz Crystal 70/80

1 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
1 oz Chinook (10 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 min)
1 oz Centennial (5 min)
1 oz Columbus (5 min)
1 oz Simcoe (Dry)

S-04

OK... I meant to get a lb of Munich, but only got .5. I doubt this will be a big deal. But, I have a lb of Crystal 10L lying around. I was thinking about adding this to the steep as well...

Thoughts?

Back