Sweetness Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stutter

Reaction score
I tried to make 6.5 gals of wine from concentrate and I sampled it last night and its way to sweet. SG 1.095 tested it last night 8 days later and its still at 1.060 the yeast has really slowed down. I really don't know what to do next i read about re-pitching a champagne yeast to dry it out is that my best option? I used the Red Star Montrachet Yeast.

Last edited:
I tried to make 6.5 gals of wine from concentrate and I sampled it last night and its way to sweet. SG 1.095 tested it last night 8 days later and its still at 1.060 the yeast has really slowed down. I really don't know what to do next i read about re-pitching a champagne yeast to dry it out is that my best option? I used the Red Star Montrachet Yeast.

It's probably not the yeast- if it fermented more than 30 points, it reproduced.

Have you been keeping it at around 70 degrees? How about stirring? Have you added any yeast nutrients?

What I would do now is stir it well, with a sanitized spoon/paddle, curtain rod, whatever fits in your bucket or carboy, and cover with a napkin or towel to allow air exchange. That should help a lot. If you haven't added any yeast nutrients, add some by dissolving first in some of the wine or some water, and stir those in as well.

I added nutrient and energizer at the beginning. I racked to clear it up because i thought it was done. Its at at 68 degrees. Should i throw more nutrient and energizer in or just stir and raise temp?

I added nutrient and energizer at the beginning. I racked to clear it up because i thought it was done. Its at at 68 degrees. Should i throw more nutrient and energizer in or just stir and raise temp?

I'd stir, for sure, and add more nutrient and energizer. It should be done by now, and not sitting at 1.060.

Thank you Yooper! I brought the temp up and stirred in what you told me and its rocking again. I put the jacket on it to help with the temp a bit. Like i said this is my first wine and i appreciate the help. Thanks again

Thank you Yooper! I brought the temp up and stirred in what you told me and its rocking again. I put the jacket on it to help with the temp a bit. Like i said this is my first wine and i appreciate the help. Thanks again

Stir it daily (or even twice a day if you can) until you get to 1.020, then it can be left to finish up and airlocked. It should get to 1.020 in a couple of days, if it's fermenting well now.

I'll also add one more little thing. Next time don't rack it so early. Let it ride for a while and rack it when it's closer to, oh 1.010-1.020 or so. Or do like me and let fermentation pretty much finish up before racking.

Yeah that was a mess up. i racked it before I took a reading. I figured that after 8 days it was done. I put the jacket on it for temp control and its dropping a 1/2 point everyday.

Back