Sweet flavor in every homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is 65-68 air temps, or wort temp? If your basement is 65 degrees, and your fermentor is on a concrete floor, then that is going to suck even more heat out of the wort, possibly putting you below the yeast threashold.

Not likely since fermentation temps are often anywhere from 3-5 degree F higher than the ambient temp during the primary fermentation phase. Once Krausen completely drops then it's typically around ambient temps. The concrete floor might have some effect, but certainly not enough to stall fermentation in that ambient temp.

Rev.

As was mentioned, is it possible that the LME, upon being added to the boil, is carmelizing? thebluewaffle, are you pulling your BK off of the heat while you add and stir in your LME? Seems if you aren't, there is a change of carmelization/scorching and you could be making fermentable sugars into unfermentable ones. This would be reflected in proper OGs and higher FGs. Just a thought that I saw was mentioned, but hadn't heard you confirm or deny what you have done.

I havn't done this which could be the main problem now that think about it. How fast will those sugars caramelize? I always stir while pouring.

The temperature I am talking about is from those sticker thermometers on the side of my car boy. I'm thinking it's got to have to be the kits themselves. Anyone else here use brewers best? Another thing could be the specialty grains. Do these only produce unfermentable sugars? How could I make them produce more fermentable sugars? I also think it's diacytal, from the description I've read of the off flavor it seems spot on to what I taste.

thebluewaffle said:
The temperature I am talking about is from those sticker thermometers on the side of my car boy. I'm thinking it's got to have to be the kits themselves. Anyone else here use brewers best? Another thing could be the specialty grains. Do these only produce unfermentable sugars? How could I make them produce more fermentable sugars? I also think it's diacytal, from the description I've read of the off flavor it seems spot on to what I taste.

I've used their kits and The kits usually have the OG and FG spot on as long as you follow the directions even with the specialty grains. Diacytal is usually described as buttery and slick not sweet.

Temperature shouldn't be an issue since that yeast has a range of 59-75F (read the packet)...

Try using pure O2 to oxygenate the wort. The shake method works for many, but it's rather limited.

Get your water tested, and test the PH of the wort before you pitch the yeast in.

Try using some yeast nutrient in the batches. I do this as a matter of practice and have not regretted it. The Wyeast nutrient is pretty cheap considering how many batches you get from one tube.

Check the Mr. Malty site to make sure you're not severely under, or over, pitching the yeast.

Instead of pitching the yeast in dry, rehydrate it first.

Check the dates on the yeast packets.

Are you keeping the yeast in the fridge/freezer?? Even dry yeast should be at least refrigerated.

Since you're an extract brewer, try using a different brand of extract. Also try switching between DME and LME.

Use the lightest DME you can get. That will contain less other malts, helping to eliminate that as a cause.

Check the dates on everything... You want the extracts to be reasonably fresh. You also want the grains your steeping to be fresh. Don't purchase several kits and have them hang around for very long. Unless everything in the kit that counts on freshness is vacuum packed that is (grains, hops, etc.).

Stop the 1,2,3 method as your standard... Let your hydrometer, and taste buds, tell you when a brew is ready for bottle/keg. The advise of tossing instruction sheets once it tells you to pitch the yeast is very sound. Unless you're able to ferment at the perfect temperature for the batch, and yeast, you can't use a calendar to determine when a brew is actually ready/done. Even with tight fermentation temperature control, you need to test the batches to KNOW when it's done/ready. I know of breweries that have tight fermentation temperature control that still have a range of time that a batch will take. That's with correct yeast pitching rates too.

I would suspect that the major factor/contributor for your sweet finishing batches has more to do with the extract your using, water, or poor oxygenation of the wort. Try purchasing filtered water, or get a top notch water filter added to your system. I have one and never have an issue when I use that water.

People can suggest all kinds of things, but YOU need to go through the process of elimination on them. Otherwise, it's all just guesswork.

Maybe it's not a matter of the beer being too sweet - maybe it's not sufficiently bitter?

or you could use dry yeast....no starter needed....don't even need to rehydrate...works for me...great beer.

I don't know much about extract, as I started with AG by accident. But, from what I know, LME is very dense and will sink to the bottom of your kettle almost instantly. If your wort is boiling, you can bet the bottom of the kettle is significantly hotter than that. I would imagine it will carmelize very quickly.

In an effort to knock this out, you may want to get together with a local brewing club (assuming there's one in your area). Either watch an experienced extract brewer do his/her thing, or invite one over to help with one of your days. Should be pretty illuminating.

Maybe it's not a matter of the beer being too sweet - maybe it's not sufficiently bitter?

Kits, typically (at least the better designed ones), include enough bittering hops to get the batch at least close to properly balanced. But, without knowing which kits he's used, and what hops, the AA%, boil time, etc., it's difficult to say.

Personally, I used kits for my first three batches, slightly modifying the first two, heavily modifying the third, before going to my own recipes. I use software to help get the balance where I want it to be, with each batch/recipe.

Oh and mcaple1, try reading the post where the OP gives his process/steps...

Back