Imperial Stout Sweet Chocolate Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kegged this up last night on some priming sugar to get a natural carb going and purged with co2. Now I wait. What amount of time would this be best to sit for? I was thinking 3 months but the wait.......it could be too much! Damn did it smell tasty racking, chocolaty wonderfulness!

This is one I don’t age at all. Once it’s carbed I drink it. IMHO it doesn’t need to age like other bigger stouts.

This is one I don’t age at all. Once it’s carbed I drink it. IMHO it doesn’t need to age like other bigger stouts.
Ok thanks. It is the first stout I have made and I have read time is kind to them. I also dont have any taps available on the keezer so thats why i went natural carb. Guess in 3 weeks its time to try it!

Funny this thread is several years old, but I'll post some notes as I progress in case anyone cares to brew this.

I am new, and also have a bunch of questions in case someone cares to chime in to help out someone new to the hobby. I only have a few AG brews under my belt.

I plugged the recipe into Beersmith. The software calculated a whopping 1.102 SG. Anyone else get this calculation or care to offer suggestions on tweaking the software?

I used the recommended brewing salts, and mashed in. A couple of observations and questions on this.

- I measured a mash pH of 4.85. Way low even though I followed the water additions. Suggestions on getting closer to the target pH zone?

- Called for 23.14 qt. of water for mash in. During mash in, I thought I was going to run out of water and be mixing around dry grain. In the end, it was all moist and some water content, but VERY LITTLE. Is this normal for beers with such a large grain bill?

Beersmith did a reasonably good job on the strike water temp. I ended up just a little warm at 158. Mashed for 60 mins. Fly sparge at 169.

Pre-boil gravity ???. I never seem to get a good reading on this. I tried stirring the wort and got some low reading I thought was messed up. Somewhere around 1.05X. I thought I would just focus on post boil gravity, since that always gives me a little better accuracy.

I ended up with with a SG of 1.077, which is in the ballpark of what others got.

This was my second experience with SafAle dry yeast. I brewed that Zombie Dust clone by Skeezer using S-04, and it turned out really well. Seemed like it worked like any other liquid yeast I had used.

However......THIS STUFF........dang. 2 packs of S-33. Placed in basement at 67 degrees. Bubbling within 4 hours. Violently bubbling within 12 hours. I was thinking of calling in an exorcist. Checked around 24 hours and it was barely bubbling. Around 28 hours, NOTHING. I was very concerned now. I must have done something wrong.

I took a gravity reading. 1.032

Once again, within the ballpark of what others have hit, so I am generally pleased.

Did a little "sensory analysis" and the bitterness really stood out. Pretty hefty hop bill. I was real nervous about the 60 minute boil of the high alpha Warrior hops. Taste was still ok overall. But, overall I am hopeful after time this beer will balance out.

I moved the fermenter upstairs where it will sit for a while at 70-72. Gently swirled the bucket, but from what I'm reading in previous posts here once this yeast goes into dormancy it takes a low yield nuke to kick it back into chewing up sugars.

I'll post more in a few weeks.

I plugged the recipe into Beersmith. The software calculated a whopping 1.102 SG. Anyone else get this calculation or care to offer suggestions on tweaking the software?

Did you resized the recipe for your equipment profile?

I used the recommended brewing salts, and mashed in. A couple of observations and questions on this.

- I measured a mash pH of 4.85. Way low even though I followed the water additions. Suggestions on getting closer to the target pH zone?

I know it's a silly question, but did you use your actual water profile in beersmith? Cause the amounts of each salt will vary according with the water profile you use in beersmith in order to reach your goal profile.

Hope I have helped.

Last edited:
Did you resized the recipe for your equipment profile?

I'm not sure. I definitely looked over all of the data in the profile to make sure I was getting it right. However, I'm still finding Easter Eggs on some tabs that I didn't know existed and how profoundly they affect the recipe. I will go back and look that over.

As for the water - yes, I did use my water profile. I am using spring water and I got the water data from the bottler. The additions worked great on my last batch, but for this one it was way off for some reason.

Update:

After the initial explosive fermentation seemed to be stopped, I moved the fermenter upstairs where it was about 3-5 degrees warmer and let it sit in a closet for another 12 days. Whatever yeast were still left seemed to do a good job on clean up, because I finally bottomed out at 1.020.

Racked to a corny and added 2T of vanilla extract. Burst carbed, and now dialing it down.

First flavor impressions - meh. Still tasting a little too bitter. Not much sweetness at all. Coffee flavor stands out to me. Subtle chocolate. I should have at least doubled the vanilla extract as I don’t even taste a hint of vanilla.

I’m hoping the bitterness tames down and this sweetens up over time.

In my experience with this beer give it some time. I probably have an old post on here saying similar things that you just said! I’ve brewed this recipe with some minor tweaks many times and it always turns out great.

Bottled about four weeks ago at FG 1.020. Tastes is good but lacks the body I am used to with a big stout and seems a bit watery. I added 1.5lb flaked oats. Would adding 1.5lb flaked barely next time be a good idea for extra body?

Just reading through this thread - I used US-05 on a Goose Island BCBS clone and it just ended up too dry, thin and bitter as well. Since then I just stuck to English ale yeasts, they do attenuate a bit lower and leave more residual sugar, but I'm ok with that since that balances the roast and helps add lots of body. S-33 has similar attenuation so it does well too.

I'm thinking about making this recipe, but I may tone down the Black Malt, it's always a tad too harsh and bitter for me. I may also replace the Chocolate with Pale Chocolate for more of a milk chocolate flavor.

Latest posts

Back