swapped hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormraper

Reaction score
ok, I did a booboo. I made the swamp nut brown ale from the recipe list this morning and accidentally swapped the 60 minute hops with the 5 minute aroma hops. I was SUPPOSED to do 1 oz of Willamette at the beginning and 1 oz fuggles at the very end but I spaced it and did thefuggles at the beginning and the wilammet at the end... how badly is this brew boned?

6 lbs Amber Dry Extract (Munton)
0.75 lbs Carafoam
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
1 oz Dark Brown Sugar

1.00 oz Williamette (4.7%)
1.00 oz Fuggles (4.3%)

1 packet Safale US-05

30m steep Carafoam and Chocolate Malt @ 155degF. 60m boil DME and brown sugar with Williamette Hops. 5m aroma boil Fuggles. Pitch 1 packet Safale US-05 with no rehydration (just sprinkled on wort). Leave in primary for 31 days. Bottle with 3/4c corn sugar for 2 weeks.

I doubt you'll taste much of a difference, those hops are very similar. It's like swapping tetnanger with hallertau

Not at all- I've switched hops on IPA's accidentally and it turned out fine. In your particular case the AA's are so similar that I doubt you'll notice a difference in bitterness. IIRC Fuggles is a bit more earthy in flavor than the willamette.

Should be almost exactly the same. Fuggles and Willamette are very similar.

I doubt you'll taste much of a difference, those hops are very similar. It's like swapping tetnanger with hallertau

*whew. I was a bit worried that I screwed up the flavor profile. I've never tried willamette before so I wasn't really sure of it's profile. I know the floral/earthy tones of Fuggles (use them in my stouts all the time) but was worried that willamette might be a completely different type of hops and not have the same effects.

ok, panic subsiding :)

Pretty Sure will is a child of fugg from what I've read they are very very similar. and boy is it tough to totally bone a batch of beer by switching hops, youre in the clear!

Back