Swamp Coolers not Sanitary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Hello homebrewers! During the last few months because it's been hot here in central Cali I have been using the swamp cooler method for the first few days of fermentation. One thing I noticed is mold on the outside of my ferment bucket and on the shirt that I drape over the bucket. There was even a little mold on the inside of the lid around the seal. It amazes me that I haven't had an infected beer yet. Has anybody experienced this before? Is a swamp cooler setup not as sanitary as we think?

When I would mix up a new batch of sanitizer, I would dump the old bucket into the swamp cooler bucket. Never had a problem with mold.

Now I use a converted freezer. Much more convenient than schlepping frozen water bottles around.

I put some Star San in my water as a precaution and haven't had an issue yet. I know some people change their water out on a regular basis.

Even if mold does end up in there, I'm not sure how it'd get into the fermenter though.

Cool sounds like I should either change water out or add some bleach/StarSan.

Swamp coolers are cheap but also disgusting. Use the Cool Brewing's insulated bag. That thing has really helped me control my ferm temps. Again, swamp coolers are gross and a pain

Swamp coolers are cheap but also disgusting. Use the Cool Brewing's insulated bag. That thing has really helped me control my ferm temps. Again, swamp coolers are gross and a pain

For the price of that cool brewing bag I would rather buy a temp controller and find a free fridge on CL.

For the price of that cool brewing bag I would rather buy a temp controller and find a free fridge on CL.

Well yeah it is pricey, but I suck with DIY so the bag worked well for me, but either way my point is the swamp cooler is nasty and time consuming

Well yeah it is pricey, but I suck with DIY so the bag worked well for me, but either way my point is the swamp cooler is nasty and time consuming

Weird, but I haven't had any issues with a swamp cooler. Well, not exactly a swamp cooler with the t-shirt, but with a bin of water and a fermenter. I drop a frozen water bottle in the water bath when needed to cool the temperature, or add an aquarium heater in the winter if it needs heating.

A drop of bleach in the water bath keeps the water pristine. I wouldn't call it "time consuming" at all. It takes like 2 minutes to set it up. My cooler has a drain on the bottom, so when I"m done I drain it. Easy as can be.

I do have a Coolbrewing bag. I used it twice. It's more of a pain, because I can't drain water out, and changing the water bottles is easy but I can't see the temperature at a glance like I can with a fermenter sticking out of a bin.

I guess it's all up to each brewer's preference, but I wouldn't call my system "nasty and time consuming".

I'm actually going to be trying to cool brewing bag, too. My dog keeps trying to drink the swamp cooler, which while safe, kinda grosses me out. I do agree that it's pricey. But right now at least, I've got more money than space, which is the biggest limitation when it comes to using a fridge or freezer.

Weird, but I haven't had any issues with a swamp cooler. Well, not exactly a swamp cooler with the t-shirt, but with a bin of water and a fermenter. I drop a frozen water bottle in the water bath when needed to cool the temperature, or add an aquarium heater in the winter if it needs heating.

A drop of bleach in the water bath keeps the water pristine. I wouldn't call it "time consuming" at all. It takes like 2 minutes to set it up. My cooler has a drain on the bottom, so when I"m done I drain it. Easy as can be.

I do have a Coolbrewing bag. I used it twice. It's more of a pain, because I can't drain water out, and changing the water bottles is easy but I can't see the temperature at a glance like I can with a fermenter sticking out of a bin.

I guess it's all up to each brewer's preference, but I wouldn't call my system "nasty and time consuming".

Well to clarify, I mean the switching out of bottles is a pain and time consuming. All the ones i've seen have had dirty water and probably friends growing in them. I think the advantage of the cooler bag is that you switch the frozen bottles out less.

I never put water in my bag, so I don't need to drain it and all i need to do is unzip the bag to look at the fermometer.

I agree to each his or her own, but I also have to say that my space is limited as well, which is also an advantage over bulky, dirty water containers

Well to clarify, I mean the switching out of bottles is a pain and time consuming. All the ones i've seen have had dirty water and probably friends growing in them. I think the advantage of the cooler bag is that you switch the frozen bottles out less.

Define "less"! I change out the water bottles in the bin/water bath about every three days. I change out the water bottles in the coolbrewing bag daily (due to no cold water bath, I presume). That's one reason I gave up using the coolbrewing bag.

That- and the coolbrewing is both too big AND too small. It's too big for one fermenter, and I feel like it needs far more water bottles to maintain a cooler temperature. There isn't enough mass.

It's too small for two fermenters. My little cooler bin can hold one or two, and since it's a water bath it doesn't drop temperatures much when the frozen water bottles melt.

Define "less"! I change out the water bottles in the bin/water bath about every three days. I change out the water bottles in the coolbrewing bag daily (due to no cold water bath, I presume). That's one reason I gave up using the coolbrewing bag.

That- and the coolbrewing is both too big AND too small. It's too big for one fermenter, and I feel like it needs far more water bottles to maintain a cooler temperature. There isn't enough mass.

It's too small for two fermenters. My little cooler bin can hold one or two, and since it's a water bath it doesn't drop temperatures much when the frozen water bottles melt.

Defined. I don't live That far north. I'm sure if i did, yes I would be changing them out less.

I'm in Southern California and I only change the bottles once a day since the bag also protects the water bottles themselves from the heat. The Cool Brewing bags arent perfect, they don't work for everyone and I certainly don't sell them, but They are less upkeep when you live in a place that has warmer weather then a stones throw from Canada.

Show us a picture of your water bath set up, or direct me to it if its already on here.

I by no means would mind being humbled by mama Yooper :mug:

Defined. I don't live That far north. I'm sure if i did, yes I would be changing them out less.

I'm in Southern California and I only change the bottles once a day since the bag also protects the water bottles themselves from the heat. The Cool Brewing bags arent perfect, they don't work for everyone and I certainly don't sell them, but They are less upkeep when you live in a place that has warmer weather then a stones throw from Canada.

Show us a picture of your water bath set up, or direct me to it if its already on here.

I by no means would mind being humbled by mama Yooper :mug:

"mama Yooper" makes me feel even older than I am! :drunk:

My cooler set up is as so:
4189-dscf0140-9325.jpg

The hole is for the airlock.

This holds both heat and cool water extremely well, and I change out frozen water bottles about every three days. A few drops of bleach or star-san will keep it mold and slime free.

An aquarium heater can heat it to 74 if needed, but I rarely use it (about every 2-3 years).

Swamp coolers are cheap but also disgusting. [...] Again, swamp coolers are gross and a pain. [...] the swamp cooler is nasty and time consuming

I don't understand what's "disgusting," "nasty," "gross," "time consuming," or "a pain" about swamp coolers.

It's a $7 plastic laundry tub from Wal-Mart. Filled with clean, cold tap water and a splash of bleach. My carboy sits in the water, covered with a wet t-shirt. I drop in a couple frozen bottles of water.

Total cost: $7.

Where's the problem?

I don't understand what's "disgusting," "nasty," "gross," "time consuming," or "a pain" about swamp coolers.

It's a $7 plastic laundry tub from Wal-Mart. Filled with clean, cold tap water and a splash of bleach. My carboy sits in the water, covered with a wet t-shirt. I drop in a couple frozen bottles of water.

Total cost: $7.

Where's the problem?

Unless you're trying to lager with it I can see it being a pain. Other than that I know what you mean.

I never had a problem with mine. I can see where it might cause some mold growth, but for the amount of time needed to ferment at controlled temps I don't see it happening very much. I wouldn't lager in one, anyway.

I think if you added a touch of bleach to the water (only a touch) and maybe wiped the fermenter with some of the bleach solution you should be good.

My swamp cooler worked well. I just became tired of the inconvenience of having to freeze bottles and change them twice a day. (Yoopers cooler would work MUCH better than my cheap toy bucket cooler). So I moved our old freezer out to the garage and wired up a temp controller.

My method of holding temperature in my water bath is a bit more involved than frozen bottles, but same principal. You can't beat water as a medium for temperature control. Way better than the ambient air inside a bag with frozen bottles added. The water acts like a heat sink, delivering stable temperature over the entire surface of the fermenter. The water in the bath will always be very close to the temperature of the wort. Especially if you use something like a cheap pond pump to keeps the water moving.

Oh, and I use to have a hot tub and have some of the water shock stuff left over. I sprinkle some of that in the bath and it's crystal clear.

As others have said...I use a little Starsan...and I've never had any issues. I normally have 4 going at a time.

Question- I'm a newbie at brewing. This will be my first batch of stout. I have a big rubbermaid tub that I plan on putting four frozen two liter bottles in, swapping out the frozen bottles daily. Will this keep the water/wort at or around 65-68 degrees? I'm not worried about mold; I can put a dash of bleach or pool shock in the water. Thanks in advance.

As long as your carboys/buckets are sanitized and air-tight (except for the airlock, of course), you're fine. My swamp cooler has a lot to desired as far as sanitation, and it's never affected my beer. That being said...I really should clean out my swamp cooler :)

Question- I'm a newbie at brewing. This will be my first batch of stout. I have a big rubbermaid tub that I plan on putting four frozen two liter bottles in, swapping out the frozen bottles daily. Will this keep the water/wort at or around 65-68 degrees? I'm not worried about mold; I can put a dash of bleach or pool shock in the water. Thanks in advance.

Have you seen the 'sons of fermentation cooler'? It is a pretty neat design for a DIY stand alone fermenter cooler that uses frozen jugs of ice for it's cooling source and looks very easy to build. It should keep your temperatures far better controlled than setting your fermenter in a tub of water and ice.

Where I am at it is hot year round and people here often use modified refrigerators or freezers to keep fermenters in. I may still do that myself but I'm still hoping I can find a way to go with a modified version of the SOFC. Way cheaper.

You should be able to keep it there no problem. I use this method and never have used 4 bottles at once (I use a total of 4, which I rotate). If you get your wort cool enough before pitching, you won't have any trouble at all. I realized early on that if I pitched at 70 and let fermentation take off, it was nearly impossible to cool it down at that point (well, nearly impossible is prob. an exaggeration, but it's a lot harder than it needs to be). If I get my wort down to 60, it's quite easy to keep control over it.

If you can, I'd suggest keeping a close eye on it during the first 24-48 hours, just because it's your first time trying to cool your beer this way. Obviously work and our busy lives can make this hard, but if you have the chance, it'll give you a great idea on how often you actually need to change out your bottles.

Latest posts

Back