Swamp Cooler Stink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bear85

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm fermenting in a corner of the bedroom, obviously room temperature is a little too warm so I've had the swamp cooler set up on the go for the last week.

It's doing a good job of keeping the temps down, but man does it stink. I'm using the t-shirts over the top of the fermenters to wick the water up, and I guess week old damn clothes don't smell too nice!

Is there any easy solutions to keeping the stink down, or just frequent t-shirt changes? Do the t-shirts over top even help that much?

Uh yeah, probably not a good idea to let mildew/mold grow on the shirts. You can also skip the shirts and just add enough water to fully submerse the fermenter. I also add some star san to the water and loosely cover with a garbage bag with a hole cut in the center to prevent excessive bacteria/other critters from falling in the water.

Don't use anything to wick the water, just add more water. A dash of bleach in the water will prevent nasty smells and growths.

Don't use anything to wick the water, just add more water. A dash of bleach in the water will prevent nasty smells and growths.

Using bleach in the water in the bedroom is NOT a good idea. Bleach will off gas volatile gasses into your bedroom and you will breath them while you sleep. This is why I suggested Star San.

JonK331 said:
Using bleach in the water in the bedroom is NOT a good idea. Bleach will off gas volatile gasses into your bedroom and you will breath them while you sleep. This is why I suggested Star San.

Meh, I've never had a problem with it, to each his own

Guys I had the EXACT same issue, along with some sinus and respiratory problems. Granted I think I had 5 batches going in the bedroom lol.. simply pour in a splash of bleach ( not enough gases to even worry about from two fermentors. Or better yet empty and clean em and put a bit of starsan in when you refill em..

I pour some distilled white vinegar in the water.....havent had any issues

starsan works good. if you start to get a smell. then its time to change that water out.

Back