Survival Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Just musing - but I recently purchased a 3 month store of dehydrated food (staples) just for "emergencies" and it got me to thinking. If everything did go to heck in a handbasket, how would I brew beer. Obviously malting grains is fairly do-able, as well as growing hops even in Texas. However, yeast would be a challenge. I thought I would throw it out to the masses just for fun what people would do if they had no LHBS or internet home delivery to begin brewing beer.

Lets hear it.

Wow - guess my musing was not all that original :D

Think I'll spend some time perusing a few links...

Been discussed numerous times. I'm sure someone else will drop the zombie apocalypse links here.

Anyway, the yeast is the easiest thing to get. I'll drop that link myself (I've done it... look through this thread).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/can-i-culture-yeast-juniper-berries-169156/

[edit: somehow I sensed Revvy typing the same time as I was]

That juniper berry yeast link was awesome - and I have junipers on my property. Wonder if it would work for beer as well?

Huh? If you look through that thread, you'll see we made lots of beer with it. Colo has made much beer with many generations of that wild yeast.

Sorry - I was talking about the link to the juniper berry yeast for bread linked in the second post on that thread. Just finished reading the original thread and that is awesome!

Back