Suppressing Lacto & re-fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushingblackdoom

Reaction score
So I've got a CDA that's done fermenting.
OG was 1.068, FG is 1.010. 6 gals. Heavily dry hopped. My intention was to lower the gravity below 1.010 by adding 2 # sugar. I want this brew to finish at around 1.004.
At tasting its awesome, though I'm tasting slight traces of Lacto.
My question is, can I lower the gravity w/ champagne yeast upon racking to secondary. Also wondering if by drying it out further, can I suppress the Lacto that may be forming? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!! Thanx HBT!!!

if you have lacto in your beer you will not be able to get rid of it by lowering the gravity, or any other method you have at your disposal. having said that i've seen plenty of threads where a lacto, or some other infection was claimed and it turned out fine in the end. if you wait a while you will probably see a pellicle if it is truly a lacto infection.

eastoak said:
if you have lacto in your beer you will not be able to get rid of it by lowering the gravity, or any other method you have at your disposal. having said that i've seen plenty of threads where a lacto, or some other infection was claimed and it turned out fine in the end. if you wait a while you will probably see a pellicle if it is truly a lacto infection.

^^^^Thanks for that, eastoak.
Does Lacto form a pellicle rather quickly?
I've seen slight pellicles form even in a super hoppy high gravity brew within 2 wks. I'm thinking I may have a really strong Lacto presence in my basement. Which sucks, as that's where I ferment my beers mostly. Had an ipa recently that was hit with Lacto, kegged it anyway, now it's one of the best ipa's I've made. Trying to RDWHAHB.
thanx for all and any input!

i've had pellicles form fast and slow. it depends on the presence of oxygen and i would guess there would have to be a certain size colony for it to really get thick, i could be wrong about that. so your sour ipa was tasty? interesting. if i were you i'd gather up ALL of my brewing gear and wash it with non detergent soap, spray it down thoroughly with a bleach solution, rinse and dry. then i'd do it again.

Thanx! The ipa is actually quite tasty & very clean tasting. No sourness at all now. It was there the first few days but dissipated. I kegged it after 2 wks with a slight panic of infection. I'm guessing it just conditioned. This was about a month ago.
Bleach killing and swap outs of plastic has all been done, but guessing I have a leak somewhere and a strong Lacto, possibly Brett, presence. There are old exposed timbers above. The basement ceiling is vaulted. I'm thinking they may be the culprit, as my sanitation borders on excessive. Thanx, eastoak.

If your contamination was from _Lactobaccilus_ (or any other Gram+ bacteria), you could treat the beer with lysozyme, an enzyme sold in most home winemaking shops. Lysozyme won't help if the contaminant is _Brettanomyces_, though.

Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com

A pellicle may not form if it's been constantly under CO2, as pellicles mainly exist to regulate oxygen uptake. I would get the beer very cold very fast before any infection can continue to grow. Drink it quickly too, because the cold will slow the growth of an infection, but not stop it.

Back