Super-low temps on Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nscheck

Reaction score
I brewed a Red Kolsch ale extract kit and used a Safale US-05 dry yeast. It fermented at temp controlled 58F for two weeks or so. After transferring it to a secondary at two weeks I let it go a week and then progressively dropped the temp down to 38.

I was thinking that this would be good idea to help it clear up, but it has now occurred to me that I may have caused the yeast to drop out altogether, thus rendering carbonation impossible. I have looked at other threads about dropping US-05 to low temps, but I haven't found any that refer to it going this low.

It is probably time to get bottling, so I have brought it slowly back up to 62. Any suggestions?

S-05 likes the opposite of what you did. In my experience, I'll ferment for 5 days or so at 59-62˚F, then let it warm up to 70˚ or so for a week to let it finish up. After that, lowering the temp is no problem.

I've heard some people say that S-05 gives off "peachy tones" when fermented at 58-60˚F, but I never detected any of that. I use S-05 almost exclusively.

That said, I don't think you'll have any issues with carbonation. There should still be enough yeast in suspension to carb it up. Just keep the bottles warm-like 70-plus degrees for 3 weeks and you should be good to go.

What were your gravity readings?

S-05 likes the opposite of what you did. In my experience, I'll ferment for 5 days or so at 59-62˚F, then let it warm up to 70˚ or so for a week to let it finish up. After that, lowering the temp is no problem.

I've heard some people say that S-05 gives off "peachy tones" when fermented at 58-60˚F, but I never detected any of that. I use S-05 almost exclusively.

I am one to say that it is very peachy-- but I am a rookie and have used it twice (peachy twice!). I fermented 66-68

Back