Super duper late addition.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atmfuge

Reaction score
Today I was making a gallon batch of a maple porter I have been planning for about a month. I intended on doing a .5lb addition of DME at the beginning of the boil and a .5lb late addition. Well, I forgot the late addition until I had already cooled the wort and was about to add my yeast.
Long story short, I decided since it was a 1 gal batch that I would experiment with adding the other .5lb of DME while aerating my wort. Has anyone had this happen before? If so what was your final product like?
There is a small layer of out of solution DME at the bottom of my fermenter now. I'm hoping that the yeast will get to this at some point, if not oh well.
ultimately, This is the beauty of experimenting with 1 gallon batches, you can F%$ker things up like this and see what happens without wasting an entire 5 gallons of potential beer.
I will keep this updated as the brew progresses.

I normally add a big portion of my extract at flameout. I've never added it after chilling, but I bet it would work just fine.

Well, it's a few hours in. The hop debris and some extract have settled into a layer near the bottom. Interestingly, there is a thin (1/4 inch) layer of wort below the hop layer.

Worst case, I end up with a contaminated batch and it's no good.

Best case. it works out fine and I end up with a good beer.

Expectations, I end up with a gallon of something that is around 3% that I'm not sure how to bottle due to the out of solution extract.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have no experience with this but since its only a few hours in maybe shake or stir if you can to try and mix up the settled layer. Don't see that it can hurt anything. And like you said its kind of an experiment now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Assuming that the yeast are still in their growth phase, I gave it another good shake tonight before bed. We'll see how it turns out in the morning. I'm a little worried it might get cold tonight so I've given it a blanket too. Hopefully there are some happy yeast in that jug now.

Day 2:

Fermentation has begun and the Krausen is surprisingly very white with a decent mix of green from the hops.

This morning the layer of DME sediment was still there along with the hop debris at the bottom but fermentation was underway.

This evening the DME appears to be all gone, or in solution, or something and only a thin layer of hop debris remains at the bottom of the jug.

I usually need a blowoff tube for 1 gal batches but I think the undissolved DME slowed down the Krausen a bit, so I have switched over to a 3-piece airlock.

We'll see what happens, hopefully its a good beer. I've never actually had any sort of maple porter so it will be new to me regardless.

Day 3
Brew is at high krausen just below the airlock. It appears that all the DME is now in solution and everything will turn out alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back