super dry IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
Thers a commercial Brewery I visited last year, who saidthat they go from 1.062 - 1.006 on their IPA! and all they're using is simple old US-05/001.

It's a fantastic IPA and theres a good blag that posted up the suggested recipe (although he seems to hit where I do inregard to FG's.

(It's Societe's The Pupil BTW)
nowthey say they use Carapils in their malt bill, and theoretically the most common way to get the OG down, is to add good old fashioned sugar... (I'm generally adverse to that just because I feel like its cheating.

Now here's my thoughts.....
Instead of the 80/15/5 (Pale/Wheat/Carapils)
I figured Mash low and go 80/20 pils/Wheat.

What do you think? It almost feels like I'd end up too thin in the body?
My other thought was 80/10/10 (Pils/Wheat/Flaked or Malted Oats)

My new go to yeast is M44 by mangroe jacks (I've been getting really good results from it)

any thoughts or suggestions?

Thers a commercial Brewery I visited last year, who saidthat they go from 1.062 - 1.006 on their IPA! and all they're using is simple old US-05/001.

It's a fantastic IPA and theres a good blag that posted up the suggested recipe (although he seems to hit where I do inregard to FG's.

(It's Societe's The Pupil BTW)
nowthey say they use Carapils in their malt bill, and theoretically the most common way to get the OG down, is to add good old fashioned sugar... (I'm generally adverse to that just because I feel like its cheating.

Now here's my thoughts.....
Instead of the 80/15/5 (Pale/Wheat/Carapils)
I figured Mash low and go 80/20 pils/Wheat.

What do you think? It almost feels like I'd end up too thin in the body?
My other thought was 80/10/10 (Pils/Wheat/Flaked or Malted Oats)

My new go to yeast is M44 by mangroe jacks (I've been getting really good results from it)

any thoughts or suggestions?

My last three IPAs, all with FG=1.070 or so, finished at 1.007, 1.009 and 1.006. And a pale ale (FG=1.047) that finished at 1.006
I mash low (149 or so), for > 60min, I use no sugar. Some recipes involved about 10% Carapils, about 5% Caravienne and about 10% Crystal 10L. The rest is US 2-row.
Recently I switched to a recipe which is about 15% wheat and the rest US 2-row. I like it better.

I ferment with San Diego Superyeast, WLP090, it's a version of WLP001 which is faster and slightly more attenuating, but just as clean. I like it a lot.

I know you said just US-05. But easiest way to get super dry is to put some dry Belle Saison yeast in after the US-0t hits FG. That **** would ferment your socks.

Societie Pupil if I recall is 70% 2-Row, 20% wheat, 5% carapils, 5% Dextrose in my clone recipe.

Mash at 148, use a yeast nutriant and 1 minute of pure O2 prior to pitching. Use a solid starter or use Imperial Yeast A07 Flagship.

My last three IPAs, all with FG=1.070 or so, finished at 1.007, 1.009 and 1.006. And a pale ale (FG=1.047) that finished at 1.006
I mash low (149 or so), for > 60min, I use no sugar. Some recipes involved about 10% Carapils, about 5% Caravienne and about 10% Crystal 10L. The rest is US 2-row.
Recently I switched to a recipe which is about 15% wheat and the rest US 2-row. I like it better.

I ferment with San Diego Superyeast, WLP090, it's a version of WLP001 which is faster and slightly more attenuating, but just as clean. I like it a lot.

SO 85% Pale Malt and 15% Wheat? That all? - Which is similar to what I'm looking for TBH.
I use 090 quite often, but Liquid yeast is near on $20 a vial here. (international shipping)

I know you said just US-05. But easiest way to get super dry is to put some dry Belle Saison yeast in after the US-0t hits FG. That **** would ferment your socks.

Not really what I'm looking for. but thanks.

Societie Pupil if I recall is 70% 2-Row, 20% wheat, 5% carapils, 5% Dextrose in my clone recipe.

Mash at 148, use a yeast nutriant and 1 minute of pure O2 prior to pitching. Use a solid starter or use Imperial Yeast A07 Flagship.

Yep that the recipe I've seen, although supposedly the official commercial recipe doesn't use sugar to dry it out so much ( i suspect enzymes of sorts if anything)
I tend to over pitch anyways, which isn't an issue, and use nutrient to get healthy fermentation - but no pure o2 unfortunately.

I've brewed variations of that recipe with different hops a few times now. No problems hitting 1.006 by just mashing low (148-149) and for 90 minutes (biab, double crush). I did use SD super yeast though, appropriately sized starter and well aerated of course. Great recipe! Give it a shot as is before you go changing it

Wow that's about 90% attenuation according to some quick calculations I ran. My guess is they're doing something like this:
- Using step mashing with multiple rests to get as much fermentable sugar as possible
- Over pitching to limit the stress to the yeast
- Ramping up the fermentation temperature over time. Start at 66 F during primary and raising incrementally through primary to 72 F
- Adding some alpha amylase to help break down more residual sugars if the other steps aren't enough

Mash very low and don't be afraid to use 8-10% sugar. My house IPA is like that. MO, carafoam & sugar. Mash 146-148 range. If it's a big beer, say over 7%, add a second dose of oxygen the next morning.

My $0.02.

Not really what I'm looking for. but thanks

If you ferment with say US-05 and then add WLP3711 after primary fermentation is finishing, say day 3 and ferment cool around 18C.

You won't get any saison flavor because the saison yeast isn't fermenting many gravity points, is cool and the hop additions will mask the flavors anyway.

What you will get is a very low final gravity, say 1.001-1.004 and unlike a other ale yeast it won't lose any body because the saison yeast produces glycerol like compounds which promote mouthfeel and body.

I have done a mixed fermentation with Kolsch and Saison yeast from day 1 and the saison flavor very suppressed. But the body was full whilst the beer was very dry. If it had a big hop bill you would not notice the saison character.

Also remove the carapils it is working against your efforts to get a low FG. You especially don't need it with the wheat.

Also use a very resinous hop in the boil and stand this will promote mouth feel in a way you can't get with grain alone or clean hops.

Back