Sunday Morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the kids to the vancouver aquarium with my brother inlaw and his son. Had a great day. Fish are my other hobby.

Friday night my iPhone 5s died. I mean completely dead for no apparent reason. Spent yesterday seeing if AT&T or the Apple Store could bring it back from the dead. Neither could.

I spent this morning recovering my last backup onto my wife's old 4s. I can limp along on this old phone for a month or two until I can get the new 6s.

Unless you're completely married to iOS (iCloud, iMessage, iPhoto, etc.) check out a Motorola Moto G gen 3. $180 on Amazon, expandable memory via SD card, 4G, etc.

Unless you're completely married to iOS (iCloud, iMessage, iPhoto, etc.) check out a Motorola Moto G gen 3. $180 on Amazon, expandable memory via SD card, 4G, etc.

With two Mac computers (my wife's an artist), sticking with iPhones makes some things easier. Also, I'm not a fan of the +5" phablets. They are too big for me to one-hand.

This Sunday morning finds my wife and up before the sun, getting ready to attend our grandson's baptism. Their church is a couple hours away, and we have to collect some other family on the way. Looks like the weather will be perfect for an afternoon spent celebrating with family and friends.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday.

:mug:

Recovering from the state fair yesterday by sitting on the couch watching Star Wars with my daughter. She loves Chewbacca, but for some reason R2D2 scares her...

The misses is working today, so the kids have spent the morning hanging out playing video games while I've been cleaning up the house a bit. I'm setting up to brew now, and will likely take the kids fishing later after everything is all cleaned up.

Wrote version four of my whiskely stout recipe. Dry stout ain't there yet. Going to do a sweet stout this time, with more/different chocolate malt. Gotta scrub & soak more bottles too. Getting too many gushers in my irish red...even one in the kottbusser. Time to soak those lil pricks outta my bottles...

Cleaning two used ball lock kegs that arrived this week from Beverage Elements $129 Shipped. Smells like Sprite!

Cleaning two used ball lock kegs that arrived this week from Beverage Elements $129 Shipped. Smells like Sprite!

Is that anything like teen spirit? :D I've been doing some serious thinking the last several months myself. The spot between the computer hutch & the bottling table would hold a 4-keg kegerator handily. A few extra kegs under the table under pressure to condition, &...&,...well, anyway, it'd give some more room in my little brewery/man cave.

Is that anything like teen spirit? :D I've been doing some serious thinking the last several months myself. The spot between the computer hutch & the bottling table would hold a 4-keg kegerator handily. A few extra kegs under the table under pressure to condition, &...&,...well, anyway, it'd give some more room in my little brewery/man cave.

I started with 1 keg and a mini fridge, now I have 2 freezers, a double deck wine fridge, and my mini fridge, and a 3rd freezer on loan to a friend... And 7 kegs.So yeah, I'm all about your new keggerator!

Check this deal out for kegs: http://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-5-GALLON-...OMEBREW-KEG-SODA-KEG-/351449162856?nav=SEARCH

But which style of kegs would you say are the most used/popular? It stands to reason that the most used type would be the easiest to find parts for?

Ball lock seems to be all the rage, and that's what I use, and that's what's for sale. These kegs are all manufactured to the old school specifications, just with a modern design!

Played some WoW at 7am. At 10am BrewerinBR stopped by and we picked my last two Cascade bines and he took them home to dry.

The rest of the day was spent doing various odds and end chores. I did vacuum seal my cascades that came off the dryer that morning.

Pilsner Urquell Clone - Urquell 100. Pictures is a forced carbonated taste 3 days into lagering. I needed to remove any yeast that was at the bottom of the lager keg so that we can filter later this week.

Recipe: Pilsner Urquell BYO (1.2) TYPE: All Grain
Style: Czech Premium Pale Lager
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 4.1 SRM SRM RANGE: 3.5-6.0 SRM
IBU: 39.9 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 30.0-45.0 IBUs
OG: 1.056 SG OG RANGE: 1.044-1.060 SG
FG: 1.010 SG FG RANGE: 1.013-1.017 SG
BU:GU: 0.712 Calories: 207.7 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 6.1 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 10.00 gal Boil: 13.16 gal BT: 100 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.00 gal Distilled Water Water 1 -
5.13 gal Local Water, CA Water 2 -
0.20 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -
0.10 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -

Total Grain Weight: 21 lbs 8.7 oz Total Hops: 9.03 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
17 lbs 15.3 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (1.8 SRM) Grain 5 83.3 %
2 lbs 3.9 oz Vienna Malt (Briess) (3.5 SRM) Grain 6 10.4 %
1 lbs 1.9 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 7 5.2 %
3.5 oz Munich (Dingemans) (7.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.0 %

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Protein Rest Add 11.65 gal of water at 126.2 F 122.0 F 35 min
Saccharification Decoct 3.70 gal of mash and boil it 147.0 F 20 min
Saccharification Decoct 1.85 gal of mash and boil it 156.0 F 20 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 4.97 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG Est OG: 1.056 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.25 oz Saaz [3.20 %] - Boil 100.0 min Hop 9 24.2 IBUs
3.12 oz Saaz [3.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 10 13.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -
0.71 oz Saaz [3.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 12 2.0 IBUs

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.95 oz Saaz [3.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

11949484_1643562985885498_8281804476611787950_n.jpg

I'm getting ready to boil batch #1 of 3 this morning.

Damn early!

I have to go get my pumps and outfit my HERMs and second pump with my hardware. Then I can brew. I should have done it yesterday, but I had to work and the pumps were still at my friends.

Damn early!

I have to go get my pumps and outfit my HERMs and second pump with my hardware. Then I can brew. I should have done it yesterday, but I had to work and the pumps were still at my friends.

I won't brew after noon. Too much going on. I love brewing in the early AM. I've got the house all to myself this morning too - it's quiet except for the radio and clocks ticking.

This Labor Day Sunday is going to be spent with family. My step daughter and her husband are coming with our grandson this afternoon.

There will be some BBQ chicken, finger potatoes, corn on the cob, salads, and cider of last years vintage to be had. I'm sure the golf cart will see many miles of grass in the lawn and pasture before the day is through. The boy will surely find the creek as the day gets warmer. It promises to be another wonderful day.

But first, eggs, home fries, sausage patties, and some toast to start the day.

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!

GF's parents are here so the morning will be a bit of a struggle to accomplish anything.

Having coffee, going to cancel my blood donation, take her father to the flea market, wait for Sears to deliver the dishwasher (second time's the charm?) and see if I got a hole in one acquiring the parts I need to install it at HD, yesterday.

This Labor Day Sunday is going to be spent with family. My step daughter and her husband are coming with our grandson this afternoon.

There will be some BBQ chicken, finger potatoes, corn on the cob, salads, and cider of last years vintage to be had. I'm sure the golf cart will see many miles of grass in the lawn and pasture before the day is through. The boy will surely find the creek as the day gets warmer. It promises to be another wonderful day.

But first, eggs, home fries, sausage patties, and some toast to start the day.

I hope everyone enjoys their Sunday!

holy crap - if it weren't for HBT I wouldn't have known about the holiday. That means SWMBO will be home...:smack: better call now for a tee time...

WLP800

LHBS owner suggested WLP830 but was out of stock. *shrug* maybe next year.

I used to make bohemian pilsners, but I only make german pilsners now. I experimented a lot with different malts, hops (I've been through a TON of saaz), and yeast to find the best G. Pilsner for me. After at least 15 or 20 batches, this one is the best.

pils.jpg

I used to make bohemian pilsners, but I only make german pilsners now. I experimented a lot with different malts, hops (I've been through a TON of saaz), and yeast to find the best G. Pilsner for me. After at least 15 or 20 batches, this one is the best.

Wow that's pretty straight forward. Are you pretty set on the yeast making the beer in this case?

Starting out with a little flamenco with my coffee: Charo. Those 40 and up should remember her. "Cuchi-cuchi!" She's a fantastic guitarist, which many probably don't know.

Bottled 15 gallons of orange blossom mead yesterday, so now with the extra space, I'm about to head out to fire up a chinook IPA. I'd like to do my house brown ale either later today or tomorrow, as well.

Wow that's pretty straight forward. Are you pretty set on the yeast making the beer in this case?

Yep. I compared this yeast to others (including dry W64/70). I like using dry yeast, and I use US05 all the time, but the wyeast was better. But I think these hops made the biggest difference. I tried hallertau, saaz (many times), mittlefruh, others.

I've gone up and down on the IBUs. 35 is perfect. Also, and this is SUPER important, keep the OG down. I like big beers like the next guy, but a pils is ruined when it gets ruined with a high OG/FG. It's my taste, anyway.

Last batch I made was 20g. I split it 4 ways, and had different combinations of yeast and hops. Anyway, this is the way I'll make it from now on.

Sounds like a productive day!

Drinking some coffee, sanding and spackling some more with my dad, then cleaning up the yard and mowing before we host a party for my daughter's birthday.

Got my lawn work done yesterday. My youngest boy is coming home from college in an hour and we'll probably golf, or at least head to the range. He was at the UF Gators game last night, pretty fun blowout for him, he'll be pumped. He mostly comes home to see his girlfriend, who has been hunting squirrels in my back yard all morning while I've been brewing.

Starting out with a little flamenco with my coffee: Charo. Those 40 and up should remember her. "Cuchi-cuchi!" She's a fantastic guitarist, which many probably don't know.

Bottled 15 gallons of orange blossom mead yesterday, so now with the extra space, I'm about to head out to fire up a chinook IPA. I'd like to do my house brown ale either later today or tomorrow, as well.

Traditional Spanish guitar, right?

Of course she is a great guitarist. She is Charo!

My niece is getting married today. I'm not sure how I feel about it. She has lived on her own for about 6 months outside of my brother's house and I'm not sure that went so well. I'm not sure she is fully prepared for a life married to someone in the Air Force.

And please, please let them wait to have children. I don't want to have to think of myself as a great-uncle.

Yep. I compared this yeast to others (including dry W64/70). I like using dry yeast, and I use US05 all the time, but the wyeast was better. But I think these hops made the biggest difference. I tried hallertau, saaz (many times), mittlefruh, others.

I've gone up and down on the IBUs. 35 is perfect. Also, and this is SUPER important, keep the OG down. I like big beers like the next guy, but a pils is ruined when it gets ruined with a high OG/FG. It's my taste, anyway.

Last batch I made was 20g. I split it 4 ways, and had different combinations of yeast and hops. Anyway, this is the way I'll make it from now on.

Alrighty!

I plugged it into Beersmith and I have it set in my collections of to-brews. I might sneak it in this year but if I do I'll have to use WLP800 3rd Gen repitch or Wyeast 2633 2nd Gen repitch...

Question about the SRM. Using my LBSH Best Malt Pilsen, I can't get your whiter-than-white srm. Are you attached to your Briess Pils malt as listed? And by attached I mean "if it ain't Briess, it ain't the same.":mug:

OAMC.

Once A Month Cooking.

Todays' the day I made 40 slow cooker meals and put them all into freezer bags. Everything ranging from beef stew to chicken cacciatore to chicken ranch tacos.

I even added applesauce to my usual pulled pork BBQ recipe.

Alrighty!

I plugged it into Beersmith and I have it set in my collections of to-brews. I might sneak it in this year but if I do I'll have to use WLP800 3rd Gen repitch or Wyeast 2633 2nd Gen repitch...

Question about the SRM. Using my LBSH Best Malt Pilsen, I can't get your whiter-than-white srm. Are you attached to your Briess Pils malt as listed? And by attached I mean "if it ain't Briess, it ain't the same.":mug:

Nope, not attached to Briess. I've use german (weyermann) pilsner. I don't think there's any diff. So, use any pilsner you can get. I would avoid the "floor-malted" since I think it takes longer to convert in the mash.

Back