Summit Hops - Anyone tried them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcdowd

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback on summit hops. Anyone used them? What do you like/dislike about them? How is the flavor and bittering? I'm attempting an all summit IPA and have never used them.

Tangerine, pungent, dank, marijuana, fragrant, high alpha... and in some odd cases, onion.

Interesting, here's my schedule, is it too much?

0.5 Oz at 60
1.0 oz at 20
0.5 oz at 10
0.5 oz at 5
0.5 oz at flameout
2.0 oz dry hop

Grain is 11 lbs 2 row and1 lb crystal 40

I only tried them once... Unfortunately, I got a batch that were heavily onion and garlic...not good.

I think their flavor/aroma depends on the timing of the harvest. I would make sure to open the hop packets early and smell them. If they smell ok, use them. If they smell too onion-y don't use them - boiling them won't change things... Trust me. I found out the hard way.

gcdowd said:
Just gave them a whiff. Smell seems fine. I'm gonna give them a try

Good. When they're not onion-y they're supposed to be a great hop. Hope your brew turns out well. :mug:

Interesting, here's my schedule, is it too much?

0.5 Oz at 60
1.0 oz at 20
0.5 oz at 10
0.5 oz at 5
0.5 oz at flameout
2.0 oz dry hop

Grain is 11 lbs 2 row and1 lb crystal 40

Is this a 5 gallon batch of IPA? If so, less crystal/more hops...specificially, late addition hops. Your bitterness will be more prevalent than the aroma. The oniony thing may come from an extended dryhop, so keep it short (5-8 days).

I use Summit in a Witbier that I regularly make for my wife, which is patterned after Clementine wit by Clown Shoes, which uses Summit. I have never gotten the slightest hint of garlic or onion, but all of my Summit has come from the same two batches. I have been meaning to try it in an IPA, so I am anxious to hear your results.

bobbrews said:
Is this a 5 gallon batch of IPA? If so, less crystal/more hops...specificially, late addition hops. Your bitterness will be more prevalent than the aroma. The oniony thing may come from an extended dryhop, so keep it short (5-8 days).

Really? You think 1 lb of crystal is too much? Seems pretty normal to me.

8% of Medium Crystal? Yes, that's kind of high for my tastes in a 5 gal batch of regular IPA. Personally, I'd use about 8 to 10 oz. max.

Whats the AA of your summit hops 17%? If its a 6g batch and your summit is 17% AA beersmith 2 calculates 72.5 IBU's, SG 1.057, Est ABV of 5.8%, 7.2 SRM. 70 IBU's is considered "to style". Sounds like a good IPA

forgot to add that Dead Ringer IPA from Northern Brewer is 11lbs Pale Malt and 1 lbs crystal 40, with centenial hops. It was a good IPA :drunk:

I made an ipa with summit. Only bittered with them. Nice and pine i thought. I have to say they go fantasticly with citra. I used 9 month old citra to flavor and aromatize the brew and it was awesome. 60 ibus with an oz of summit. I age the citra to take the edge off. Go for it.

I had a Evil Cousin from Heretic that was made with Summit and tasted like onions and garlic, I am afraid to use summit now.

Summit is one of those hops you'll either love or hate. I get a strong tangerine type smell from them. They're pretty pungent, but I like that.

Oscar Blues' Gubna is an all Summit IIPA. Unfortunately it suffers from the onion affliction. It's the only beer from them that I haven't liked.

That being said, I've used it on multiple occasions with great success, both early and late additions. My batches have gotten really strong tangerine notes when added later in the boil.

rebel80 said:
Oscar Blues' Gubna is an all Summit IIPA. Unfortunately it suffers from the onion affliction. It's the only beer from them that I haven't liked.

That being said, I've used it on multiple occasions with great success, both early and late additions. My batches have gotten really strong tangerine notes when added later in the boil.

I didn't realize that the gubna was all summit. I like that beer so I'm gonna try it out. I will only dry hop for 1 week so hopefully won't get that oniony taste

I'm drinking my Citra/Summit IPA right now. It was my second brew.

I can definitely pick up the onion/garlic in the Summit. It's good, though. I'm a fan of Gubna, too, so that should explain it.

I don't think I'd use Summit with any other fruity hop, because I tend not want to mix onions and fruit. But I really do want to make an all-Summit IPA, because I think it's a good hop. I just think it's a hop that needs to be used by itself (or with a bittering hop, like Warrior).

Spicemon1972 said:
I just brewed an IPA with Summit as my 60min bittering hop - its currently in primary and chugging away - I will let you know in 6-8 weeks.
:)

Ok, if my gravity sample prior to dry hopping is any indication, the Summit gave a nice bitterness at the back end without being a pucker. Even SWMBO liked the sample and she is quite picky when it comes to beer.
I'm starting to really like this hop and may do a SMaSH using it to explore it a bit more.

Just bottled and tasted mine...definitely an onion/garlic upfront flavor...hoping it will mellow

Can you show your recipe along with any uncommon procedures you did [hop-wise]? Where did you buy your Summit, and what are the specs?

I've never had the onionyness come through in my beers, but I have noticed it it Gubna and Devil Dancer.

I bought them from a LHBS in Sommerville about 5 months ago...hop union packaging. I do massive late additions and dry hopping (about 3/4 an ounce from 20 minutes to flameout and an ounce dryhopping...and this is a 1 gallon recipe.) I've heard that massive additions for aroma and flavor can bring it out. I added a few tangerine zests at flameout and in the secondary hoping it would balance it out. We'll see...I'll check back in in a few weeks and see what it tastes like. The summit I bought was 18% if that helps

gcdowd said:
Looking for some feedback on summit hops. Anyone used them? What do you like/dislike about them? How is the flavor and bittering? I'm attempting an all summit IPA and have never used them.

Summit is one of my favorites along with citra. I made an IPA with magnum, summit and citra. I used magnum for bittering, summit at 20-15, and citra 10-5-DH. The flavor was outstanding and I agree with everyone else who has said summit and citra work very well together. This post has me thinking that I will brew another batch of it tomorrow. With regards to your crystal addition, I used 8oz honey malt with 8oz crystal 60 for color. IMO, the sweetness of the malt helped counter the strong flavor/bittering of the hops and it all balanced out. I have not used summit by itself and being Italian, onions and garlic go in my breakfast cereal. I only picked up the onion aroma when I opened the hop bag. The flavor of the beer was more citrus. Go with your recipe and send a bottle for approval.

I just attacked an almost-all Maris Otter IPA with Summit at FWH and flame out in conjunction with Warrior at 60 min and Columbus, Northern Brewer near end of boil. At 6-days its a little green but delicious. Planning a 2:1:1 ratio of Columbus, Summit, Centennial in the dry-hop. So far no onion, just citrus (maybe even lemon zest) and some dankness....

TimmyR said:
I just attacked an almost-all Maris Otter IPA with Summit at FWH and flame out in conjunction with Warrior at 60 min and Columbus, Northern Brewer near end of boil. At 6-days its a little green but delicious. Planning a 2:1:1 ratio of Columbus, Summit, Centennial in the dry-hop. So far no onion, just citrus (maybe even lemon zest) and some dankness....

I went to a local brewery which also runs a brew store. I put together a recipe with the head brewer today and his advice was to use summit early. Claimed the onion flavor is dominant in late additions. Let us know how the summit lends itself to dry hop.

From interviews with hop farmers, I have heard that the onion/garlic issue comes from picking the hop cones as little as a day or two after peak.

Good to know. If I could figure out how to get the recipe out of BeerSmith in HTML, I'd post what I have so far. I used 1 oz Summit in FWH, 1 oz Magnum at 60 min; 1 oz Columbus, 1 oz NB just after flame-out and start of hot whirlpool; 1 oz Centennial & Summit at 15 min into whirlpool (just before I stop the recirc). About 12 gallons final volume at 1.064 OG and ~71 IBU (Rager). The ferments are split between WLP001 and WLP090 and I will dry-hop each w/~1 oz Columbus, 0.5 oz Centennial, 0.5 oz Summit.

I'll post what I find. So far I like the IPA. Hopefully it doesn't go down the oniony path.

TimmyR said:
Hopefully it doesn't go down the oniony path.

again from interviews (not personal experience), it seems that many times you can smell the onion/garlic on Summit in the bag. If it smells good and tastes good in the the fermenter, and if your DH comes from the same bag, then I think you should be in the clear.

One or my first Ipa ever was all summit,it was a very good ipa.I just wish i had dryhopped and used more.They were organic Summit hops,no onion.Not all hops are equal when it comes to being the same kind.You have differnt growing locations and maybe unfortunatly some people get some stored poorly.I just know it is a hop i would use again.I think different years of the same hop are not the same either,and they seem to vary year to year often.
Summit definatly made a good single hop ipa,i would like to use them in Yoopers haus pale ale recipe someday.

Im not shure if the same people that say garlic/onion are offensive ? I think onion/garlic is a pungent sweet peppery spice maybe similar to a hop character or maybe just missassociated? I never got that with mine but i wonder if those people who find it offensive if they like the cat-piss or "dirt" hops.Its an association description that maybe should be renamed,maybe a techinical name for cat-piss would sound more appealing-haha.

again from interviews (not personal experience), it seems that many times you can smell the onion/garlic on Summit in the bag. If it smells good and tastes good in the the fermenter, and if your DH comes from the same bag, then I think you should be in the clear.

Makes sense. Just like some Simcoe and Citra can be catty. These smell great and are well packaged.

Thanks!

I've made a hop burst pale ale all summit and it was great no onion or garlic but a very up front tangerine marmelade aroma I only have two bottles left... that I'm about to drink

I am away from my computer now but if I remember correctly I used around 200 grams of hops (about 7 ounces and a half) from 10 minutes to dry hop) 25 grams @ 10
40 g @ 5
50 @ flameout
And dry hop:
7 days 25
5 days 40 grams

I am away from my computer now but if I remember correctly I used around 200 grams of hops (about 7 ounces and a half) from 10 minutes to dry hop) 25 grams @ 10
40 g @ 5
50 @ flameout
And dry hop:
7 days 25
5 days 40 grams

Cool...close enough. I am thinking next APA to only FWH and Whirlpool...

It was 40 IBUs if a remember correctly and great I don't know why I always see the onion/garlic comment Different crops maybe?

Back