Summit, Citra, Eldorado, Mosaic Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
Brewing the below right now. What do you guys think? Pretty light/ simple grain bill with a health hop schedule, but not too aggressive. Forever trying to create that perfect pale ale. Has anyone ever used the Wyeast 1217 before? Curious to see what its like. I've heard its the green flash house strain.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (alternate): 5.17%
IBU (tinseth): 42.18
SRM (morey): 5.78

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (78.1%)
2 lb - American - White Wheat (15.6%)
0.8 lb - German - CaraRed (6.3%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 16.86
0.5 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 12 min, IBU: 14.14
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.99
1 oz - Eldorado, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.7, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 2.47
0.25 oz - Summit, Type: Pellet, AA: 18.5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 0.73
1 oz - Citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
1 oz - mosaic, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11.5, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 16 qt
Starting Mash Thickness: 1 qt/lb

YEAST:
Wyeast - West Coast IPA 1217
Starter: Yes - 1 Liter
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 74%
Flocculation: High
Fermentation Temp: 63 F

I started a thread in the Yeast/Fermentation section to see about peoples' experience with this yeast and speculate on its origin. Your beer sounds tasty. Please keep us updated on how the yeast works out for you.

As to its origin, I have also heard Green Flash, but also heard Stone and Ballast Point. So who knows. I talked to the Wyeast rep at GABF and he would not divulge the source. But he basically described it as somewhat of a hybrid between 1056 and 1968. Clean like 1056 but more flocculant and attenuative like 1968 or WLP 007.

I just made an IPA and pitched a 1.5L starter of this yeast yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

Only thing I would change is dry hop time. 14 days is more than necessary. I have found and read that many more than 3 to 5 days results in an insignificant increase in aroma oil extraction.

You should consider trying a hop stand as well if you're trying to impart hop flavor/aroma without adding perceived bitterness.

I look forward to reading about this brew as it comes of age.

Only thing I would change is dry hop time. 14 days is more than necessary. I have found and read that many more than 3 to 5 days results in an insignificant increase in aroma oil extraction.

You should consider trying a hop stand as well if you're trying to impart hop flavor/aroma without adding perceived bitterness.

I look forward to reading about this brew as it comes of age.

The 1 minute hops actually did get a 30 minute covered rest before cooling with my immersion chiller. I was busy transferring another beer into a keg. Also I like to give me beers about 2 weeks in secondary with the last 3 days cold crashing. I just add the dry hops when I siphon into secondary. Some people say they get a grassy flavor when they dry hop that long, but I have never experienced it.

I'm curious about the yeast, which is how I came about this thread. Interested to hear about it.
As for recipe, my initial thought is that there are a lot of different hops fighting each other. But definitely some good hops there. It's intriguing.

Back