SUMMER SQUEEZE LEMON SHANDY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qtip

Reaction score
So I ordered this kit from Norther Brewer while it was on sale. OG should be 1.045, BeerSmith shows 1.051, actual 1.056. My target pre-boil gravity was much higher than BeerSmith calculated and boil volume was pretty close to 6.80 gallon volume. Does Northern Brewer purposely provide lower readings? For a beer that was 4.4% ABV now has the possibility of being a 6.04% ABV summer beer if it finishes at 1.010, I was looking for the beer to be below 5.0%. My post boil volume was short by a 1/2 gallon, it was hotter than hell outside and I got a little crazy with the boil when I put my IC in at the 15 minute mark. I seem to have trouble with hitting final boil volumes and seems to be a 1/2 gallon off either way, sometimes off by 1/2 gallon more and some times 1/2 gallon short. Any ways to dial in the boil off? I use propane and a keggle that had the lit cut completely off.

[First of all I would add water that has been boiled and get the ABV you want. Second of all every brew set up has its own boil off rate so just keep accurate records for a couple of brews and you will be able to dial in your starting volumes. I find 90 minute boils tricky but Beersmith allows you to set your boil off rate and it will tell you what you require if you plug in the numbers. Good luck!

every brew seems to have a different boil off, I cannot seem to get a good measurement to setup beersmith properly with my equipment profile. Should I just add some RO water to top off? Boil longer if volume is too much? Problem is I don't know it's too much until it's too late.

I find it difficult to nail down my boil off also. temperature and humidity seem to affect it more than I ever thought. But I have been coming in on the larger side of volume here lately. Not a lot but maybe !/2 gallon or so. Doing 5 to 10 gallon batches. I personally just roll with it. If I am over a bit on volume I just bottle some and keg the rest. Been working out ok.

Back