Summer Plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlauMaus

Reaction score
Summer's coming, and while I don't actually have more time to brew, I at least feel more motivated. Last summer I brewed a number of great batches and I hope to do so again this summer. This morning I sat down and planned out what I'd be brewing each month.

May- Witbier. This will be my first partial mash, and I'm excited about it.
June- Strawberry Wheat. I don't even LOVE this recipe but I'm kind of stuck with it because my family does. This is when my mom's strawberries come in, so I'll be doing at least one batch of strawberry wheat in June.
July- Hefeweizen. And that's if I don't get this in before then. I like to have some hefeweizen around for the summer.
August- Apfelgarten (brown ale). This is something a buddy and I came up with last summer, which ended up getting better with age. August is when I'll start getting my autumn-y ales ready.

Depending on how much time I have and how productive I'm feeling, I would likely brew an IPA at some point.

Anyone else have plans for the summer?

i don't generally make plans. i have 3 taps and 4 kegs and i like to have the following on tap:

1. IPA cuz that's what i generally drink
2. Cream of Three Crops because everyone seems to love that beer
3. Wheat type beer. i drink it when i just feel like something other then an IPA

i brew a stout or porter for my dad but that gets bottled.

I do plan to brew a saison for the first time this summer and maybe a barleywine to let age in bottles.

Summer is prime time brewing for me.... As a HS teacher/coach, spring and fall get kind of insane as far as finding free time. But, come summer.... I am doing one of 3 things - gardening, fly fishing or brewing.
According to my notes, I brewed 15 beers in summer 2012, and 16 beers in summer 2013.... So guessing I will crank out 15-20 this summer too.
I always start out with some that I can turn around fast - because my supply is usually getting a bit low come the end of may. So - things like American Pale Ale, American Wheat, British Ordinary Bitter, Amber Ale - I can usually have those brewed and on tap in 3 weeks.
I also brew some bigger beers to put away for the winter - Porters, Bourbon Porters, etc. I will brew a couple oktoberfest/vienna style beers in june to have ready for fall as well.
Other than that is about keeping the pipeline full of what I like to drink in the summer (APA, IPA, Bitter, A. Wheat, Amber). And, planning ahead for what I want to drink in the fall - A. Brown Ale, Porter, Dark Mild, English Brown, Amber, etc.

Back