Summer IPA critique requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProblemChild

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to make a light and flavorful IPA. Not chasing the juicy thing, nor do I want firmly bitter. My hope is to have somehting with a light orange citrusy flavor and body but still within the BJCP guidelines of an IPA. A nice summertime drinker if you will.

If you have positive contributions to this idea, please respond and help me with this.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Summer IPA
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.21 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.51 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.75 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 56.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.25 lb Maris Otter Malt (Muntons) (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.0 %
2.50 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 20.0 %
0.75 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 3 6.0 %
1.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 8.0 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil Hop 5 11.8 IBUs
3.00 oz Mandarina Bavaria [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirl Hop 6 22.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 7 21.5 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 3.69 gal of water at 164.11 F 150.00 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.90 gal water at 168.00 F
Notes:
------

+1 on the dry hop. It won't be an IPA without.

The temperature and duration of your whirlpool is the most important factor to how much bitterness, flavor, and aroma are added to the wort. What whirlpool temps and times do you have in mind?

You are making a starter for your yeast?

+1 on the dry hop. It won't be an IPA without.

The temperature and duration of your whirlpool is the most important factor to how much bitterness, flavor, and aroma are added to the wort. What whirlpool temps and times do you have in mind?

You are making a starter for your yeast?

Looking for a 20 min whirlpool at flame out.

Starter is a must for me. Pitching about a 1.5L starter (a little higher than needed)

Looking for a 20 min whirlpool at flame out.

Starter is a must for me. Pitching about a 1.5L starter (a little higher than needed)

You may consider adding 1/3 to 1/2 of your whirlpool hops after your wort has chilled down to 190F or even 180F. After 15 minutes at that temp, chill down to 160F then add the remainder and leave in the whirlpool for 30 minutes before chilling down to pitching temps. That way you'll keep a lot more of the hop flavor and aroma while adding only little bitterness.

+1 on your starter! Aerate/oxygenate your wort well, right before pitching.

You may consider adding 1/3 to 1/2 of your whirlpool hops after your wort has chilled down to 190F or even 180F. After 15 minutes at that temp, chill down to 160F then add the remainder and leave in the whirlpool for 30 minutes before chilling down to pitching temps. That way you'll keep a lot more of the hop flavor and aroma while adding only little bitterness.

+1 on your starter! Aerate/oxygenate your wort well, right before pitching.

was considering taking 1/3 of whirlpool hops and adding at 5 in the boil, then the rest (2/3) when temps hit 170°F and whirlpool then for 20 min. Still some thinking to do there. I chill to 170°F rather quickly, so boil additions will not add a lot of bitterness and I can focus on the flavor of the hops with a cooler whirlpool

Back