Summer BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedasnake

Reaction score
I am looking to plan for the soon to be here summer time, i would like to brew a very drinkable beer that is refreshing but very tasty at the same time. Looking to satisfy the whole family, want something that we can all drink and chill by the pool all day with. Anyone have any good suggestions for a BIAB recipe?

Belgian Witbier!

Most people find those tasty and easy to drink. (Think Blue Moon). Keep spices muted if you're trying to satisfy non craft beer drinkers.

Yeah already made one of those pretty tasty but still wanted something different if i could find something.

What is the general family consensus on ginger? My brother whipped up a great little ginger beer that is fantastic.

Hefeweizen! The ultimate summer beer. Light but tasty and even lots of non craft beer drinkers like em.

I second the Hefe, they're definitely more flavorful than a Belgian wheat. A mild hoped German pilsner would be refreshing and tastey too.

Here's the recipe of the pilsner that we just kicked a keg of:

7lbs German Pils (2row)
1.5lbs Crystal 10
1.5oz Hallertauer 60min
.5oz Saaz 60min
2oz Saaz 15min
.5oz of Saaz and Hallertauer @ Flameout
WLP830 Yeast

The IBU's are pretty high, around 50 I believe, but you can play around with the hop schedule if you don't like the bitterness. It turned out very refreshing and flavorful, but it was too bitter for some people. German pilsners are my favorite summer time beer.

I second the Hefe, they're definitely more flavorful than a Belgian wheat. A mild hoped German pilsner would be refreshing and tastey too.

Here's the recipe of the pilsner that we just kicked a keg of:

7lbs German Pils (2row)
1.5lbs Crystal 10
1.5oz Hallertauer 60min
.5oz Saaz 60min
2oz Saaz 15min
.5oz of Saaz and Hallertauer @ Flameout
WLP830 Yeast

The IBU's are pretty high, around 50 I believe, but you can play around with the hop schedule if you don't like the bitterness. It turned out very refreshing and flavorful, but it was too bitter for some people. German pilsners are my favorite summer time beer.

That looks like something that i would be very interested in! Now how would i go forth in changing this over to a partial mash?
thanks

That looks like something that i would be very interested in! Now how would i go forth in changing this over to a partial mash?
thanks

Just take half the base grain out and substitute for pilsen extract. Mr. Malty or your favorite beer caclulator will tell you how much you need to get to the desired OG.

The other thing that i just noticed is that you have that using a lager yeast i still dont quite yet have the stuff to do lagers yet, if i were to use a different yeast do you think this would turn out as good?

If you use an ale yeast like Safale US-05 or Wyeast 1056 you can get lager like results if you ferment it low(high 50's low 60's) it won't be a true lager but it'll still have a clean flavor profile.

What is giving it the stronger "bitterness"? Hallertauer or Saaz? Would reducing the 1.5oz of Hall 15 min addition to .5oz back down the bitterness enough for non craft drInkers? Looking for a summer session beer for friends.

Look up an English Bitter recipe on here. They are NOT bitter beers. They are basically pale ales but are less hoppy than most American pale ales. You can make them low alcohol so you can sip them all day, and they DO have good flavor because they are designed as a flavorful but low alcohol beer (the kind the English drink in the pub all night without getting sh*t-faced). They have very basic ingredients, with basic English style hops such as East Kent Goldings, Challenger, and Fuggles. VERY tasty. I have become hooked on them as an easy-drinking beer, especially for summer weather.

I did an ESB and people didn't really care for it. Was a little to dark for them. Like the Hef's cause they are a lighter colored beer.

Another for hefeweizen. It's not quite saison season yet, even in my hot-ass apartment, so hefeweizen it is this weekend. It's an easy recipe to remember:
50% pils malt and 50% wheat malt. Single infusion at 153 (or you can do like me and decoct it with rests at 148 and 158), pitch WLP300. Enjoy!

Rasbery Wheat is a good one for all poeple. I had a friend come over and try some and he loved it and all he usualy drinks is Corona.

Back