Summer ale recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I posted this in the recipe section but wasn't getting a response and I wanna get to brewing...

Been thinking up a summer ale idea for a 1 gallon batch and so far this is what I'm thinking. I'm looking for a lighter hop profile with a nice, touch of light bodied sweet malt backbone...

-Mash @ 148*
.75 lb 2row
.75 lb pilsner
1 oz honey malt

-90 min boil
2g horizon 10.1AA @ 60 min
3g mt hood ~6AA @30 min
4g mt hood @ 10 min

W/ us-05

Any ideas/criticisms/suggestions to this recipe?

Brewtoad gave me an estimate of...

-1.043 OG
-4.8%
-25 ibu
-3 srm

Yup 1 gallon. I'm still learning ingredients and whatnot so pretty much everything I'm doing right now is an experiment to some extent. So I'm doing 1 gal, for simplicity, cost, and "don't wanna have to throw out 5 gallons if it sucks" sake

Yup 1 gallon. I'm still learning ingredients and whatnot so pretty much everything I'm doing right now is an experiment to some extent. So I'm doing 1 gal, for simplicity, cost, and "don't wanna have to throw out 5 gallons if it sucks" sake

I guess that's a good idea but my test batches at 3 gallons disappear way too fast. Personally I couldn't be bothered to go through all the work for only one gallon, unless I was doing something REALLY outside the box.

If you don't do something drastic there should be no reason you would have 5 gallons of bad beer.

As to the recipe, I haven't used Horizon or Mt Hood but it sounds good to me.

I guess I'll just give it a run and see how it goes.

I do want to scale up to 3 gallons but get all 5 gallon equipment so I can do both. I'm jUst not sure what I'd do with 5 gallons. I jUst moved to SD and only know a few people so far that id share with and I don't really drink that much and would get bored drinking that much of the same beer. I guess I just enjoy the brewing process/creativity of it enough that it doesn't bother me

I would go 3 also, but you might have a point with 5 being more than you need. Me and a buddy brew 5-10, and sometimes if we are busy and don't get to drink much we have gallons of beers to share and no time to share it.

Brewing small might be more per oz, but less waste so still cheaper. Kind of like buying 1 beer from the bottle shop instead of 12 packs from the store. More per bottle, but less waste if you aren't guzzling a sixer every night.

Back