Sulphur Smell in Cider-but I already bottled!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CV_Apple_Gal

Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently opened a batch of my cider from this year (OG 1.059, FG 1.003) I used Safale S-04, kept the fermentation cool, in the mid 60s. I primed, bottled, and cold crashed the cider.

I opened a bottle from the fridge and the smell of sulphur was pretty noticeable. The taste was pretty much where I wanted it, which was nice.
I’ve been reading about some ways to fix the sulphur smell, but I’m not sure how those can be applied when I’ve already primed and bottled.

Any suggestions? Anyway to fix this?
Thanks

Hopefully when you say primed, bottled, and cold crashed, there was a period at higher temps between the bottling and cold crashing for carbonation to happen. That aside...

Unless you used a strict low oxygen process, there is probably enough oxygen in your cider to take care of the sulfur coumpound (H2S) over time. Certain trace metals will also help, if present.

Hopefully when you say primed, bottled, and cold crashed, there was a period at higher temps between the bottling and cold crashing for carbonation to happen. That aside...

Unless you used a strict low oxygen process, there is probably enough oxygen in your cider to take care of the sulfur coumpound (H2S) over time. Certain trace metals will also help, if present.

Yes, the bottles were left at room temp for a few days to allow for carbonation, and I tested some bottles before cold crashing.

I didn't use any sort of low oxygen process, (not even sure really what that would be/look like), so hopefully any oxygen in there will help. When you say "over time" do you mean weeks? Months? Years?

Thanks again

When you say "over time" do you mean weeks? Months? Years?

Probably weeks. Maybe a couple months. If it goes longer, I'd say it's probably not going to happen. Also, keep it warm-ish (like room temp) to speed the process. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back