Sulphur smell after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeymacca

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m wondering if anyone may be able to shed some light on a sulphur issue I’m having. I’ve been brewing BIAB for about 3 years with no sulphur issues. The last 2 batches I’ve made have smelled and tasted great going in to the bottles. But they have both developed a sulphur smell.

The recipes were the Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin Ale and the Deception Cream Stout that’s featured on this forum. I’ve brewed both of these before with no sulphur off flavours. Both recipes had no gravity change in 24hrs so I assumed they were done. The pumpkin spice beer I fermented for 14 days and the deception stout for 21 days. This is quite typical for my setup. For example, I recently brewed a NEIPA on Aug 29 and bottled it on Sept 14. Turned out great.

The Pumpkin recipe has 3/4tsp pumpkin spice added at bottling and the stout had 1tbsp vanilla extract added at bottling.

Anyone have an idea what might be causing this sulphur issue on 2 batches in a row? Again, smelled and tasted great going in to the bottles and I haven’t had this issue with these recipes in the past.

Thanks for any help!
Joey

The pumpkin spice lists Sulphites in the ingredients. Not sure if that’s related to sulphur. The vanilla doesn’t list any sulphur.

Welp, I think I may have figured it out. I was having oxygenation issues with my NEIPA’s and it was suggested I use sodium metabisulfite at bottling. Worked great for my NEIPA’s so I started using it for my other beers. I’m guessing this is giving me the sulfur smells after bottling. If that’s the case, it’s funny how it doesn’t cause that issue with NEIPA’s.

Back