Sulfur Smell still around after secondary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micky5752

Reaction score
So i transferred my Plum/Concord wine yesterday. I have 25 gallons made for my wedding this coming September. It still has that sulfur/fermentation odor. Is this normal? I read that if I had to, I could run the wine over sanitized copper and I should remove all of the odor. My question is, would a counter flow wort chiller work for this purpose? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I fill the wine with distilled water to the neck of the carboy? And if so, would leaving that space hurt the wine?

So i transferred my Plum/Concord wine yesterday. I have 25 gallons made for my wedding this coming September. It still has that sulfur/fermentation odor. Is this normal? I read that if I had to, I could run the wine over sanitized copper and I should remove all of the odor. My question is, would a counter flow wort chiller work for this purpose? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, should I fill the wine with distilled water to the neck of the carboy? And if so, would leaving that space hurt the wine?

No, that's not normal.

Before I tried copper, I'd try "splash racking" and treating with campden tablets (to avoid oxidation). If that doesn't fix it, you could always treat with copper later on.

Yes, headspace will hurt the wine. You must top up to within a couple of inches of the bung!

For the splash racking, try to rack your normal way, but let the wine splash into the carboy, down the sides. Then use 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon in the receiving carboy so that you don't oxidize the wine. See if that improves the sulfur smell.

So I don't have to worry about the campden tablets killing what yeast is left do I?

No, unless you totally overdosed on them. Winemakers use sulfites (campden) all the time as an antioxidant and preservative. That's why they use them- wine yeast is amazingly tolerant of sulfites. I try to keep my sulfites at 50 ppm.

Have you not added sulfites to your wine?

Back