Sulfer smell after bottling with Wyeast 3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axacrusis

Reaction score
I am experiencing a foul sulfer smell and tase in a hefe that I bottled 2 weeks ago. I have researched that the Wyeast 3068 strain produces a significant amount of sulfer during fermentation, however it is still present weeks after bottle conditioning.

I guess my question is, has anyone else run into this issue and can this sulfur "age out" even while in the bottle?

Yes I had it happen with my hefe, it was pretty foul. even after a few weeks in the keg it's got a hint of it but it's not too bad.

There is a long, informative thread about sulfur and hefe yeast. Search hefe and swampy, it should pop up. It seems to be pretty common problem...

An Update: after searching various threads on this topic I have come to the conclusion that home brewers are split whether the sulphur will age out or remain. There have been varying accounts of sulphur dissipating after pro longed bottle and keg conditioning, while other experience it through the life of the beer.

I went and bottled the Hefeweizen after two weeks of primary fermentation with proper hydrometer reading indicating the beer was finished. I did this because of the school of thought that Hefes are best when young. Next go around I will give the beer at least one more week on yeast to try and clear up the sulphur notes.

It's been about 2 1/2 weeks in bottle now and I notice a little less sulphur in the nose and taste so hopefully it will continue to lessen.

Back