Suggestions to recover underpitched brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
So I brewed up an imperial stout this past weekend, and totally overshot on my OG. Since I was brewing a big beer with BIAB method, I expected (based on some things I had read) to get much lower efficiency than I normally do (65% vs 70%). So I banked on 65% and also added in a little more base malt to compensate. However, my efficiency was excellent (the highest I've ever gotten -- probably due to full mash volume method), which should be great -- problem is, I was aiming for 3gallons of a 1.068 but ended up getting 3 gallons of a 1.088!!! ABV at 72% attenuation should be around the 8-9% mark.

I was not prepared for such a high gravity and so I know I underpitched the yeast (Wyeast 1272) by a long way. This was yesterday (Saturday). My LHBS is closed on sundays and mondays, so I was planning on getting to the store on tuesday and get some more yeast. Since I dont have time to make a starter, I was thinking of throwing in a pack of US-05 dry yeast to help the 1272.

My question is: should I throw the US-05 in as soon as I can (Tuesday), or should I wait for the 1272 to attenuate as far as it can before adding the dry (ie. wait about one week?).

There are a lot of threads on underpitching on the forum. You might try searching them. Here is one at almost random: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ramifications-underpitching-yeast-83103/

I would pitch the US-05 as soon as possible while there is still available oxygen in the wort.

You should really make a starter to increase cell count before pitching so that you have a good thriving population of yeast when you pitch. It's not hard to do. And keep a few packs of Safale 04 and 05 around to cover emergencies like this one.

But you only did a 3 gallon batch not a 5 gallon batch...all is not as grim as it appears. Also if you were looking for a lower og why didn't you just water down to your target og? (sort of like an extract brew) then you wouldn't have under pitched AND you'd have a little more beer for your buck. I hate just going with a stronger beer (I'm one of the few here who are happy with session ales) just because I aired on the side of caution....

Also if you were looking for a lower og why didn't you just water down to your target og? (sort of like an extract brew) then you wouldn't have under pitched AND you'd have a little more beer for your buck. I hate just going with a stronger beer (I'm one of the few here who are happy with session ales) just because I aired on the side of caution....
Cause I only had a 3.5 gallon carboy free :)

Latest posts

Back