Suggestions to improve hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB_ATL73

Reaction score
Anyone with any suggestions to improve an already kegged hefeweizen with subtle but noticeable off-flavors?

I recently brewed this all grain recipe 3 weeks ago https://byo.com/article/german-hefeweizen-style-profile/ - which I have brewed a few times before with much better results than this current time. I brewed this almost to a tee hitting my mash temps (152), ferm temps controlled @62 deg, OG(1.052)/FG(1.012). However, I did not perform a ferulic acid rest this batch (which I've gotten great results not doing before) and did not use a starter either just pitched Wyeast 3068. Again, have had great results underpitching in this style but always fermented at a slightly higher temp ~66-70 which is where I think I might have had an issue this batch. The current batch is missing that great clove and banana kick I love in a hefeweizen and has some other off flavors (slight DMS).
Does anyone have any suggestions for amping up this beer that's already kegged?
Adding fruit/something else? or is that a bad idea and should I just leave in the keg a few more weeks to let age?
Any suggestions appreciated!

The flavor of a Hefe is usually determined by the yeasts - warmer fermentation temps generally lead to more banana; cooler to more clove.

You could sanitize some spices in vodka and add them to the keg. This might mask the DMS. You could then drink it with some fruit.

Re-brew and ferment at your usual temps and see if the problem persists.

The flavor of a Hefe is usually determined by the yeasts - warmer fermentation temps generally lead to more banana; cooler to more clove.

You could sanitize some spices in vodka and add them to the keg. This might mask the DMS. You could then drink it with some fruit.

Re-brew and ferment at your usual temps and see if the problem persists.
Thanks for the advice. Never have used spice addtions- any suggestions on amount/type of spice to add for a hefeweizen?

You could go more of a "Belgian Wit" route, some ground corriander seed and orange peel. Maybe a quarter teaspoon of corriander and 1 of the orange peel. Best to start with low amounts then add more if it's too subtle.

You could go more of a "Belgian Wit" route, some ground corriander seed and orange peel. Maybe a quarter teaspoon of corriander and 1 of the orange peel. Best to start with low amounts then add more if it's too subtle.

I usually do this in the boil (of course a different yeast). Will this work in the keg?

DMS is hard to “fix”... it. It’s not like acetaldeyde or diacetyl than can be cleaned up.

I’d Krausen it with another batch.

Back