Suggestions For Winter Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torilen

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a beer this weekend, or Monday of next week. I'm looking to make something that I'll bottle and pull out in December or January, when it gets nice and cold outside. I need some ideas.

What I'm looking for: Something that gives the impression of sitting in a tavern, deep in the mountains of Austria, snow falling outside, a giant fire roaring in the fireplace, and a storyteller weaving a tale of magic, dragons, and fair maidens. (Sorry...I'm a fantasy writer...just go with it).

Another description of what I'm looking for: Think Weyerbacher Quad, but with a little more "Christmas" to it.

Thanks all.

Strong porter with a hint of spices.

The door to the inn opened. The cold draft pulled the attention away from the patron's conversations. They turned to stare at the stranger who stood in the doorway peering in.
"Close the bloody door!", the innkeeper called out after a few moments had passed.
With a slight start the stranger stepped in and quickly closed the door behind him. He brushed the snow form his coat and hat and glanced about again, looking for a place to sit. Even in the cold part of winter, the Dragon's Breath Inn held more than a few customers. Many came from nearby, to sit in a warm room and enjoy each others company, or maybe a game of darts. A few were traveling through, though there were few indeed of those this night, as the oncoming storm held them off the road. Almost all of them.
Not seeing a place closest the fire, he settled for a table in the corner where the light was dimmer, but had the advantage of giving him a view of the rest of the room.
A barmaid strolled up. "Stew tonight. Lamb."
"Yes", answered the stranger, "and a mug of ale if you have it. Do you?"
"Indeed!", came the reply. "The Dragon's Breath is well known for it's Winter ale. It's a strong drink, deep red, with a flavor of the deep woods in autumn, and a warming feel to chase away the winter chill."
By now the regulars had gone back to whatever it was they were doing before he arrived, and the stranger took note. He saw cheery faces and heard laughter and even a song or two trying to start up. "Yes", he said, "That would be very welcome on this night." A small smile passed across his face, only to be replaced instantly with a chilling blank stare. "Would that I could take a jug of it with me. I believe I will be in want of such a thing where I am going."
"Well, then", said the barmaid cheerily, "you are in luck! Growlers are only ten pence each. Eight pence for Mug Club members!"

A quad would be great, but December might be rushing it. In the meantime, a luscious amber ale would work or a chocolate porter. The choices are many for winter taps.

If you want Christmas, you need spices on the nose. But by January, you might be tired of that. A solid chocolate porter at about 6% would be awesome though.

My plan is to do an abbey-style amber with holiday spices. I did an amber patersbier (base malt and D-45 candi) last summer. Lemongrass, orange peel, and coriander. For this, I'll kick it up to 6-7%, and probably go a little darker. Then add ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon at flameout. Maybe orange peel as well.

First thoughts would be (in no particular order) -

Cardamom Ale
Chestnut Brown Ale
Rum Barrel Porter
Chocolate Maple Porter
Eggnog Milk Stout
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Stout
Smoked Wheat

For late, late winter, as the season tries to decide whether or not to end, I would very much recommend an Edelweiß, which simply screams alpine Austria waiting for spring.

By the way:

...sitting in a tavern, deep in the mountains of Austria, snow falling outside, a giant fire roaring in the fireplace, and a storyteller weaving a tale of magic, dragons, and fair maidens.

I would totally read (and buy) a book with that passage in it.

Thanks for all the ideas, everyone. A couple of you suggested a bourbon something or other...let me ask...could you use
irish whiskey? Would that taste go with a beer?

Homercidal - love the writing.

Tasunkawitko - you said eggnog milk stout - I'm definitely going to have to keep that one in mind...that sounds like a great
idea.

Irish whiskey works really well with stouts. For a Holliday ale base, I'd go for an export stout, sweet/milk stout, or oatmeal stout.

On a totally different approach I have a Holliday brown I bottle last weekend with allspice, cinnamon, and vanilla beans. Just be careful if you use allspice as it can overpower a beer fairly easily. I have 1.5 oz. in a 3 gallon batch and based on the hydrometer sample its quite strong.

In three weeks I am going to brew a Belgian dark ale at the lower side of the ABV with Fermentis Safbrew BE-356. Three weeks later I will brew a slightly darker winter warmer with cinnamon and vanilla on the yeast cake. I plan to name my Christmas brew "up the chimney".

I made a cranberry scotch ale that's on here somewhere. There's vanilla and spices in it too I think but all that would have been too much for me so I just added the cranberries. It's 9% and turned out great. I can try to find the recipe on here if you're interested.

O2Red - I've been wanting to try something with a bit of spice in it - hot pepper or black pepper or something - I'm very afraid to, though. Especially since I only do 1 gallon batches...it would be so hard to make sure the amount is small enough.

AZCooler - love the name...I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with some good names for my brews. The only one I've come up with so far is for my ginger beers - Pirate Booty.

bobeer - thanks, but I'm not sure about cranberries yet. I think I would go with just normal spices...or perhaps something with orange or tangerine or something. Cranberry is a more acquired taste...while I personally like cranberry...still gotta be careful with that.

Back