Suggestions for hop schedule for a Mosaic Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsme_timd

Reaction score
I want to make a pale ale using mostly/totally Mosaic hops. I like the results of FWH for bitterness so I'd like to do that. However, when I do just 1 oz FWH with a 90 minute boil I get 55 IBU's, which I'd like to reduce. Range for the style is up to 40 IBU but I'd like to keep it a bit under that.

However, dropping down to just 1/2 oz FWH just seems like a small amount of bittering hops. I intend to do a 5 minute addition of Mosaic and then dry-hop for 3 days with a couple ounces... but I'm open to suggestions.

Ingredients:
------------
  • Amt Name Type # %/IBU
  • 13.89 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
  • 9 lbs 12.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 90.6 %
  • 13.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
  • 2.7 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.6 %
  • 1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 47.0 IBUs
  • 1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 8.0 IBUs
  • 1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [2000.0 Yeast 7 -
  • 2.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

I don't know if I just ask stupid questions or if there is just too much going on here but it sho is tough to get replies some(most)times.

If it only takes a half ounce to get your desired IBUs, then that is all it will take. Don't worry about the weight, worry about the end IBUs. I think your hops schedule will work, but be aware that Mosiac is a very pungent hop.

I recently did a similar APA with all Mosaic. I didn't even dry hop and got huge flavor and aroma with the following hop schedule:

1 oz at 15
1 oz at 5
2 oz hop steep (30 minute steep after chilling the wort to 170).

I used 10L instead of a higher lovibond crystal. I think the higher crystals tend to muddle the flavor of american hops, but that is completely subjective. Plus, I don't know how well the carmel flavor of the higher crystal will work with the pinapple/peach flavor and aroma I get from Mosaic hops. Someone else will have to speak to how that works. I will say that I tried Terrapin's Single Hopped Rye and did not think it worked too well with the darker crystal malts. I typically really enjoy Terrapin beers, but that one did not work for me.

I want to make a pale ale using mostly/totally Mosaic hops. I like the results of FWH for bitterness so I'd like to do that. However, when I do just 1 oz FWH with a 90 minute boil I get 55 IBU's, which I'd like to reduce. Range for the style is up to 40 IBU but I'd like to keep it a bit under that.

However, dropping down to just 1/2 oz FWH just seems like a small amount of bittering hops. I intend to do a 5 minute addition of Mosaic and then dry-hop for 3 days with a couple ounces... but I'm open to suggestions.

Ingredients:
------------
  • Amt Name Type # %/IBU
  • 13.89 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -
  • 9 lbs 12.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 90.6 %
  • 13.6 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
  • 2.7 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.6 %
  • 1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 47.0 IBUs
  • 1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 8.0 IBUs
  • 1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [2000.0 Yeast 7 -
  • 2.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

I'd use .5 ounce at FWH (or whatever it takes to get to 30 IBUs or so with that addition), 1 ounce at 15, 1 ounce at 5 (or flame out), and then dryhop with the rest (1.5 ounces?). That should give you more mosaic aroma and flavor, as well as not overbitter the beer.

On another note, that's a lot of gypsum! If you don't want an overly bitter beer, why the big amount of gypsum?

If it only takes a half ounce to get your desired IBUs, then that is all it will take. Don't worry about the weight, worry about the end IBUs. I think your hops schedule will work, but be aware that Mosiac is a very pungent hop.

I recently did a similar APA with all Mosaic. I didn't even dry hop and got huge flavor and aroma with the following hop schedule:

1 oz at 15
1 oz at 5
2 oz hop steep (30 minute steep after chilling the wort to 170).

Thanks, I was just wondering if calculations were off for some reason as it seemed like it was pulling a lot of IBU's for such a small amount.

I used 10L instead of a higher lovibond crystal. I think the higher crystals tend to muddle the flavor of american hops, but that is completely subjective. Plus, I don't know how well the carmel flavor of the higher crystal will work with the pinapple/peach flavor and aroma I get from Mosaic hops. Someone else will have to speak to how that works. I will say that I tried Terrapin's Single Hopped Rye and did not think it worked too well with the darker crystal malts. I typically really enjoy Terrapin beers, but that one did not work for me.

I'd use .5 ounce at FWH (or whatever it takes to get to 30 IBUs or so with that addition), 1 ounce at 15, 1 ounce at 5 (or flame out), and then dryhop with the rest (1.5 ounces?). That should give you more mosaic aroma and flavor, as well as not overbitter the beer.

On another note, that's a lot of gypsum! If you don't want an overly bitter beer, why the big amount of gypsum?

Thanks for the tip on the gypsum, I've never used it before and this is from a Mirror Pond clone I pulled off Beersmith.

Thanks for the tip on the gypsum, I've never used it before and this is from a Mirror Pond clone I pulled off Beersmith.

If you're using it to enhance hops bitterness (the normal use), then it's fine but you need to know your base water first. If you already have a lot of sulfate in your brewing water, this amount could give you a very minerally finish. If you're starting with RO water, well, it's still too much but not quite as bad.

If you've not used gypsum before, and don't know your base water profile, I'd be inclined to leave it out.

If you're using it to enhance hops bitterness (the normal use), then it's fine but you need to know your base water first. If you already have a lot of sulfate in your brewing water, this amount could give you a very minerally finish. If you're starting with RO water, well, it's still too much but not quite as bad.

If you've not used gypsum before, and don't know your base water profile, I'd be inclined to leave it out.

Gotcha, thanks. I haven't used it before and I used to use RO water but this will be my first brew using water through an RV filter. I haven't had it profiled so I think I'll just leave it out all together.

Back