Suggestions for growing hops in Central Texas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
Hi all - I know its a rough area to try to grow hops, but we've finally got the land to do it and I really want to give it a shot. I'm 30 miles north of austin. My property is covered in oaks and cedars, so I was thinking "maybe" i could plant them under some tree cover and let them work their way up some kind of trellis/cable or the tree itself while keeping themselves out of the direct blazing texas sun yet still getting some scattered light. Any idea if thats a decent idea or totally ridiculous? Are there better varieties that may be better for those conditions? Any thought or advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks all,
JD

cascade, nugget and columbus do well in the heat. check out the link in my signature for addition ideas.

a new family of hops that are just emerging now are neomexicanus, or new mexico wild hops. i've seen rhizomes for sale in a few places. supposedly they do very well in heat and dry conditions.

hops love the sun. try to give them some direct sun every day. in TX they might not need a whole day's sun, but they should get some. not sure that they'll get enough growing up a tree - they'll be shaded all day.

i would consider running a strong rope between 2 trees, 16 feet off the ground (or more), then dropping grow lines from that horizontal "support line".

There are a few of us Texans here growing hops. You can check out my Low Stress Training thread to see how my Cascade have done for two years now in the DFW. The first year was a bust. I've cones on now. You can also look for Texas in thread titles. I think there are three or four active this year.

As of now, I'm thinking two thoughts. Start early and keep watered, but not water logged.

Growing things in at least a little afternoon shade, which typically call for full sun, is a valid tactic in Texas. The end of June through September can be brutal here. My tomatoes are getting a little shade this year and look better than ever.

Back