Suggestions for an easy first time Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akglyd

Reaction score
Can I get any suggestions on easy Ale yeasts?
Hopefully something that finishes of quite quick....

another vote for Safale US-05 (dry). just sprinkle on top of your wort when it's at the right temperature and you're good to go. nice and clean and fairly temperature tolerant.

I used Nottingham for my first brew. It's great, except that you need to keep it cooler than most ale yeasts.

If you're just getting started, you might want a more flocculent yeast than US-05 (i.e., that drops clear more quickly, resulting in a brighter beer).

For dry yeast, try S-04. If you're willing to try liquid yeast, I recommend Wyeast 1098. I made a blonde ale with 1098, and it was the first beer I made that my friends really liked.

Due to storage issues I should actually have had a yeast that could take 25°-26° Celsius without going wrong.

Can I get any suggestions on easy Ale yeasts?
Hopefully something that finishes of quite quick....

do yourself a favor and find some patience, the quality of your beer will be your reward.

S04 will finish and floc fast though.

Have one standing with WLP570 but I have found out that this will take som time.
I just want to get started and learn.

Due to storage issues I should actually have had a yeast that could take 25°-26° Celsius without going wrong.

That's a pretty tall order. The S-04 and US-05 yeasts only claim 24°C as a highest temperature, and everything I've read suggests that even that is going to result in some questionable results.

Maybe saison type yeasts? I've heard they're suited to warm fermentations. But you're going to be pretty much stuck with specialty yeasts at that kind of temperature. You really want down closer to 20°C or below.

05 is nice and clean and 04 gives more esters, I generally use 04 more for ESB or browns and 05 for pale and IPA, I don't like the esters from 04 getting in the way of my hops.

I find both finish equally quickly, a week at most when I keep em at the low end of the temp range, you definetly want below 20C (low to mid 60's).

To help either start off quicker and healthier rehydrate. For 5 gallons take 300 ml H2O, boil, cool to 18 or so and throw the yeast in. You can do this early on in the brew day and a few hours in water will help them immensely.

How long do you run your primary fermentation? I have learned that with 4 week primary, 4 week bottle conditioning and no secondary, any yeast will attenuate and floculate fully and carb correctly. I presently select my yeast strain for the taste characteristics, not attenuation speed. If you want it quick, I suggest you purchase some of those empty bottles that are occasionally delivered to local retail outlets accidently filled with beer. It will give you more bottles to fill and will give your beer more time to fully develop. If you drink it in less than 8 weeks from brew day you're drinking green beer, which is usually not when it is at its best.

From my point of view, as I see, all new home brewers, including me, aren't patient enough and want to taste beer to soon, young beer doesn't taste right, I suggest to you ferment at 65-68F(18C), construct fermenting chamber with an old fridge and install additional heater, buy aquarium temperature controller and leave wort as is, after you reach FG(approx. 2 weeks for ale yeast), leave at least 1 week in primary after fermentation is done, I don't think that secondary is necessary, for primary fermentation my suggestion is 3 weeks all together. Leave your beer 1 week at room temperature in bottles, and then at least one week leave bottles in cold cellar, before tasting, put your bottles in cooler for 3 days, if your beer won't taste as you like, change the recipe next time.

If you can't keep your beer in the 60-69F range I would suggest T-58 in a Belgian beer. Those strains prefer to ferment in the 70s and will be more forgiving towards temperature swings.

Back